[SOLVED] CF Client: No module named 'yaml'

Post here to get support
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: [SOLVED] CF Client: No module named 'yaml'

Post by arnaud »

I do not have any performance issue actually, everything work quite smoothly (the connection is a bit slow but unfortunatly this is due to the USB being a bit slow in VM). I am running on a old-ish Mac, it is described as MacBook Pro (mid 2012) by the about box.

Do you have any other virtualization software running? There is a small square on the bottom right of the VM with a V in it, if you put your mouse on it, it should say that "VT-X/AMD-V" is active, otherwise hardware virtualization is not used and can make things quite slow.

Otherwise, depending on what you want to work with, you can install the necessary tools natively on Mac.
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

Yes, VT-X/AMD-V is activated. The iMac is from late 2017, so general performance shouldn’t be the reason. Did some investigation on Ubuntu running as VM on macOS. The forums are full of similar problems, mainly due to missing 3D support for Ubuntu guests on macOS hosts. Depending on the front-end, of course. Seems pretty complicated, nothing I want to spend my time on.

I’m going to upgrade the Xubuntu inside the VM. If this won’t help, I’m going to install the CF client via homebrew and start developing the firmware with Xcode. Always wanted to try this anyway ... ;) Any experience in setting up Xcode with the CF firmware?

Thanks for your time.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

XUbuntu should not be too affected by the 3D acceleration, this is why we use it and not the regular Ubuntu. Enabling 3D acceleration works if you also update the guest addition (you need to add a CD drive to the VM first).

A note about the client: it is possible to install and run the client without mac brew if you do not have or do not want to use homebrew: I have managed to run the client on a fresh mac with the official python3 from python.org with "pip3 install cfclient[qt5]" and by installing the SDL2 lib manually from the build provided by https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php. If you already have homebrew, you should off course use it as documented.

Fox XCode and the firmware I do not have any experience (I only use XCode when I have to, for the iOS Crazyflie client). The Crazyflie firmware is a Makefile project, so you should be able to use the XCode GUI as a source code editor to work on it, you need to use gcc from GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain to compile it.