2018 Firmware Update Killed my Crazyflie 2.0

Post here to get support
jamesbu
Beginner

2018 Firmware Update Killed my Crazyflie 2.0

Post by jamesbu »

I recently tried to update my Crazyflie's firmware as per the following instructions:
https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... #update-fw

I downloaded the file crazyflie-2018.01.zip from the following github repository:
https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-release/releases

I initiated the bootloader cold boot, selected the above package, and hit the "Program" button. After the programming was complete, I clicked the "Restart in firmware mode button". All the LED lights turned off except for one solid blue LED light.

Now my Crazyflie won't turn on at all in either normal or bootloader mode. I tried disconnecting and connecting the battery again, hooking it up via USB to the computer, but to no avail. When I give it power via a battery or the USB cable, one solid blue LED comes on, and nothing else. Holding the power button down for 3 seconds does not do anything.

Did I brick the Crazyflie? Or is it possible to revive it again?

FYI, I'm using a Crazyflie 2.0, and my computer is running Ubuntu 16.04.
whoenig
Expert

Re: 2018 Firmware Update Killed my Crazyflie 2.0

Post by whoenig »

It shouldn't be possible to brick the CF with an update, because the bootloaders can't be upgraded wirelessly. However, it is possible that the flashing process was not successful (there is currently no check in the official client that verifies the written firmware.)

One thing to try is to:
* remove the USB/battery
* hold the power button
* attach to battery/USB
* keep power button pressed for three seconds until the two blue LEDs blink, then release the button
* if that works, you can flash as before

(This might be a two-person job:-)

If that doesn't work, you might be able to revive using the Debug Adapter Kit and a JTAG adapter.
If you use ROS, consider using the flash tool in crazyflie_tools, which verifies the written firmwares.