[SOLVED] Mapping M1, M2, M3, M4

Post here to get support
zenocon
Beginner

[SOLVED] Mapping M1, M2, M3, M4

Post by zenocon »

Hi, I successfully assembled my CrazyFlie -- well, almost. I did not notice the markings on each arm of the PCB for M1, M2, M3, M4. I was careful to solder the wires in alternating white/black/white/black for the circular terminal, and my unit passes POST, and I just connected it and tried a trial flight.

I was also careful to try to assemble the blades as per the instructions -- and that's when I noticed that each of my arms and their markings (e.g. M1) isn't necessarily wired up to the M1 in the center board. Here's my actual mapping:

ARM <-> WIRE TERMINAL
M4 <-> M1
M1 <-> M2
M2 <-> M3
M3 <-> M4

I tried pulling the arm + motor off, and figured I could just swap them around, but the wire is too short, and I'll end up breaking it to get it completely off. So, I'm wondering if there's a way I can re-program the firmware to re-map them how I have them physically, as opposed to me trying to break it to fix my mistake.

When I tried my virgin flight, it started lifting up, and after about a 6" it just flipped over and went down to the ground -- indicating something is not right. I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix it in software (which I am comfortable with) -- I don't want to have to solder that again -- I'm lucky my solder job worked!
zenocon
Beginner

Re: Mapping M1, M2, M3, M4

Post by zenocon »

Ah, nevermind -- I solved it. I found if I pushed the motor back out of the plastic arm, I could get just enough wire length to pull the plastic arm off, and then I could swap them around. Once I did so, and put them on the correct arms, I was able to fly it and it seemed to work correctly. I can't believe how incredibly fast this thing is! I look forward to really experimenting with it.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Mapping M1, M2, M3, M4

Post by tobias »

Great that you solved it!
Marking as solved.