Unable to change the Crazyflie2.0 address

Post here to get support
Robert
Beginner

Unable to change the Crazyflie2.0 address

Post by Robert »

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with updating the crazyflie address, for instance from 0xE7E7E7E7 to 0xE7E7E7E701. I can update the Channel, Bandwith but address and I am using the latest firmware version for nRF51 and STM32 with Crazyradio (no Crazyradio PA). The strange thing is when I checked the "Crazyflie 2.0 config" window the new address appears there so I tried to connect using this new address in Ptython-Client but failed and I just can connect to the default address (0xE7E7E7E7E7)
This problem is very similar with a previous post: viewtopic.php?t=2007. It seems that the fix for this post was using the latest firmware.
Also I tried to rewrite the EEPROM with my new address, 0xE7E7E7E701, using the write-eeprom.py, following the link instructions: https://wiki.bitcraze.io/doc:crazyflie: ... set_eeprom.
After running the python script the new address is displayed on the terminal command window but when I tried to connect the Crazyflie with crazyradio using the python-client interface with the new address doesn't work, just work with default address.

I'd very much appreciate any help. Many thanks
Robert B.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Unable to change the Crazyflie2.0 address

Post by arnaud »

Hi,
Have you upgraded the firmware using a release zip? Some Crazyflie 2.0 are shipped with an old nRF51 radio firmware that cannot change radio address, they will stay on the default address, this looks very much like what you are observing.

What version of the firmwares have you flashed and how?
Robert
Beginner

Post by Robert »

Hi Arnaud,
I upgraded the firmware for both, nRF51 and STM of crazyflie. For the nRF51, I downloded the zip, commited May20-2017, from this link: https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie2-nrf-firmware
To flash nRF51 firmware, I used the Python-client GUI, ubuntu 16.04. I start the PC client, then select "Connect"/Bootloader" then press the power ON button for at least 3 second until the two blue LEDs start blinking, Click "Initiate bootloader cold boot", select the bin file, cfnrf.bin. Finally press "Program" and then "Restart in firmware mode". Basically I followed the intructions from: https://usc-actlab.github.io/publicatio ... OS2017.pdf, , page 8.
Also, I noticed that order to flash matter. The first time I flashed STM and then nRF51 and after I rebooted the crazyflie it didn't connect to crazyradio. Then, I started first with nRF51 and second STM. Then rebooted the crazyflie and it connected to crazyradio. Could please tell me if I am correct in this part?
Another thing I noticed is after flash the nRF51 and click "Restart in firmware mode" the crazyflie didn't reboot properly, propellers don't spin. Just when I flash the STM and click "Restart in firmware mode", the crazyflie rebooted normal, propellers spin. Is this behavior normal?
I am thinking that i am not flashing properly or using the right tool. Do you know if there is another way to flash the crazyflie firmeares?. Also I use Crazyradio instead of Crazyradio PA
Finally, how to make sure that I am using the latest version of crazyflie firmwares. I normally go to GitHub repository and download the curent one that appears there. Is this the right way to do it?
Many thanks for your help and time.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi,
Thanks for explaining what your did with so much detail.

It is not possible to flash only the nrf firmware using the GUI client, if you load a .bin in the client it will flash only the stm32 CPU. This explains your experience: if you flash the nRF firmware into the STM32, the stm32 will not boot.

To flash the complete latest version, nrf and stm, you need to flash the release zip by following these instructions: https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... #latest-fw. The release zip contains both nrf and stm firmware.
Robert
Beginner

Post by Robert »

Hi Arnaud,
Thank you for replying. Your feedback works!! I updated two crazyflies address and tested the connection with Crazyflie_ros, one crazyradio controlling two crazyflies.
Thank you again and I really appreciated your help and time.
Robert