Help me get native Cfclient on my Mac

Post here to get support
TheYoyoFreak

Help me get native Cfclient on my Mac

Post by TheYoyoFreak »

Hello, I've had lots of trouble getting the crazyflie client working on my Mac. I've had it working before, but I was having a huge amount of problems so I am now doing a clean restart. Depending on if I deleted all the files correctly. I just want a very simple step by step guide, probably instructions for the instructions.
I just want to be able to fly and do some development with the buzzer deck. I'm hoping for as few headaches as possible, even the simplest things confuse me like when someone says "running the shell" or "in the working directory" or "run from the source folder." etc. Things will be different this time, if I have any question at all I'm just going to wait patiently for an answer. Someone offer up their time, I had a mental breakdown yesterday from trying to figure this stuff out.
P.s I don't know whether to use Macports or Hombrew, or whatever the heck else you can use. Docker seemed to be the biggest culprit for things not working. Okay I'm done with my rant, lead me where I need to go, I just want to fly my Crazyflie again. Thank you.
TheYoyoFreak

Re: Help me get native Cfclient on my Mac

Post by TheYoyoFreak »

So, I tried going to this url to install the client: https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-c ... /README.md.
I got confused at the "pip3 install -e" step I have no idea how to continue with this. I also tried running the terminal at a specific folder, nothing is in the folder though, I thought I could make a single folder with all of this in it. I'm guessing it has to be system wide? Please help. I don't want to clutter my mac up.
TheYoyoFreak

Post by TheYoyoFreak »

Okay, I'm impatient. I uninstalled what I just barely installed. Right now I'm trying to use python. I can't change what version of python to use. I sure wish the instructions were more clear and told which version to use. Which version of python do I use, how do I change the default version. Please help me before I screw up more.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi, the documentation you are linking is instructing to install python3 from brew: https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-c ... md#mac-osx. This the version that is needed.

The command "pip3 install -e" needs to be launched in the source code repository. You can clone it from git with

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-clients-python
TheYoyoFreak

Post by TheYoyoFreak »

Do I input the pip code into the terminal first? Also can I ever do "run terminal at folder"? Then I clone the code? What is "source code repository" just the crazyflie folder that was created?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

The pip command is going to install the client from source code, this means that it needs to be run in a terminal from within the source code root directory. So you run the pip command after having clonned the source code. The git clone command will create the source code folder named crazyflie-clients-python.

At what step are you in the process? Do you have python3 installed from brew and do you have the client source code clonned in a folder?
TheYoyoFreak

Post by TheYoyoFreak »

Okay, I'm quite positive that I have Python3 installed and I ended up getting the folder cloned. I'm just stuck right here at the pip3. I'm not sure what its asking me to do.
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 9.44.39 AM.png
TheYoyoFreak

Post by TheYoyoFreak »

I got the Cfclient to open, now the terminal is showing things like "leap motion is probably not installed" or "Missing cwiid". I honestly don't care about these things. Where can I go change the coding so it's no longer looking for these things? I guess I'm just wondering if those things are necessary and if they would be too difficult for me to figure out. (After looking at what "Leap Motion does) That is quite interesting, I guess it's okay if terminal keeps loading text, I'm just weird.
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 12.26.42 PM.png
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

The cfclient should work fine without the leap motion library, it is optional. The same for wiimote (cwiid). Did you experience any problem with it? The text output could probably be more describing in that sense and end with e.g. "functionality disabled".