[Resolved] Bug: XB1 controller not detected as input device in CFclient 2016.4.1

Post here to get support
H0stname

[Resolved] Bug: XB1 controller not detected as input device in CFclient 2016.4.1

Post by H0stname »

Hi all,

Not sure where to report bugs, but I am fairly certain this is a bug and not PEBKAC.

I have compared the functionality of CFClient 2016.4.1 and 2014.01.0 and while the 2016 version works better and I require it for debug purposes (console doesn't output correctly in the 2014), my xbox one controller isn't detected as an input device. I know you guys like to use ps3 controllers, but this is what I have, and if it is supposed to be supported, I think it should be. Also, I find it interesting that there are no detection issues in the 2014 version, but with said 2016 version, it does not show up. I don't know why this would be, but my computer detects the controller and nothing else is changed besides uninstalling and installing a different CFClient. Please let me know if I can provide more information to assist in this bug hunt.
Last edited by H0stname on Wed May 03, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Bug: XB1 controller not detected as input device in CFclient 2016.4.1

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

What platform are you running on? We are currently working hard at releasing a new version so it would be nice if you could try the latest version from the develop branch. If you are on windows there is windows build available: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/bitcraz ... /artifacts
Runebb
Beginner

Post by Runebb »

Great, thanks! Both wired and wireless Xbox One controllers works on Windows 10, in 2016.4-93 released a few hours ago (possibly in earlier versions as well).

Neither wired or wireless worked on windows in 2016.4-1, while wired XB1 controller worked fine on linux (tested on ubuntu 14.04) with the linux xbox driver.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Yes, the 2016.4 version had a bug on windows. We are currently working at stabilizing and releasing a new client, in the mean time the development builds should work fine.
H0stname

Post by H0stname »

So I realized all you devs are running linux. I got pissed at win 10 for the last time, nuked my HDD and just running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Got the dev environment running natively on Ubuntu and it's so much better than windows. I had some issues with the radio I had almost isolated between release versions, but the latest one works fine on Linux. I see why you guys support it more. Anyways, just wanted to say the xbox one controller does not work in Linux either, but that appears to be Ubuntu's fault. I have gotten a PowerA generic xbox/ps/PC controller working and controlling my drone, and radio issues I encountered seem to have vaporized (will explain more later).

This was a bit cumbersome to set up, and it's the end of the semester so probably won't be doing any more class related dev, but I hope to at least share my environment setup instructions (there seemed to be some conflicting information on the knowledge base pages) to lower the barrier to entry for native linux dev, which is by far the best way to go IMO. I'll also include some other things I believe to be bugs, but no longer encounter in my new linux environment. This has also gotten the ball rolling for me, so maybe I'll continue on my own to do some stuff with this nifty platform.

Should I mark this as resolved? Seems like you guys are aware of this issue, and I quit using Windows and my xb1 controller for now so it is no longer a priority for me.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Nice that it worked and welcome to Linux ;-). If you have any suggestion about enhancing the documentation please tell us, we know so well how things work so that it is sometime hard to spot what point should be precised in the documentations.

For windows did you try the latest build? It is true that most of us are using linux though we strive to keep the Client running on windows/mac/linux and the windows gamepad input should have been solved. We hare now released a new client version 2017.4 which has the windows fix included.
H0stname

[Resolved] Re: Bug: XB1 controller not detected as input device in CFclient 2016.4.1

Post by H0stname »

yes I had figured lol. I will post suggestions along with the write up. Main things include a more hierarchical nature to the layout, and, I'll have to find them, but I have links with somewhat conflicting information. I'm sure there were reasons for the discrepancies (or the versions just get out of date), but it gets confusing to a new user who doesn't understand why.

Just tried build 2017.04 on Windows and xbox one controller detected! Great job. The console does not seem to display anything though, I'm pretty sure it did in 2016.4.1. This is more of a big deal for devs though (who are probably using Linux).
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: [Resolved] Bug: XB1 controller not detected as input device in CFclient 2016.4.1

Post by arnaud »

Thanks for the feedback about the doc. We will try to cleanup the wiki in the near future, do not hesitate to tell us if you feel some page are more urgent to change quick.

If you are referring to the DOS console, there seems to be a bug in the windows console that make is erase everything when it is resized. In the future we plan to display this console information in the client anyway (this will allow us to build the client as a real Window app, without the DOS console).
Mitteau
Expert

Re: [Resolved] Bug: XB1 controller not detected as input device in CFclient 2016.4.1

Post by Mitteau »

Hello
I have the same problem with xbox360 wireless + microsoft receiver.
My systems are Debian 8.8 and Xubuntu 2017.04.
Crazyflie PC client is the last one, 2017.04.
For a few days now, the usb xbox receiver in not recognized. Looking at the details, I think that neither the system nor the crazyflie client is concernet.
Using "ls /deb/input" does not show jsx device....
And as a consequence, the driver xpad is not installed. xboxdrv, also do not find input device.
Whatever the way I put on the xbox and its receiver, I never get fixed lights ont the xbox.
Before it was OK on xubuntu, and random access with Debian.
But now, nothing.
So I think that xbox hardware is faulty.
Have anybody seen the same situation ?
Sincerely
Jean-Claude
H0stname

Post by H0stname »

Test xbox hardware on known working machine/system. Those controllers are pretty robust IMO so I doubt it. This same setup worked with a 360 controller, even a Gamestop knockoff, so I am reasonably certain it has to do with the new protocols (and corresponding drivers) the XB1 controller has to further obfuscate design of aftermarket software and keep users paying for M$ products.

The 360 controller should work on most *nix out of the box, supposedly the XB1 does too, but that was not my experience, and it is still fairly new.