[SOLVED] Desoldering motor wires caution

Post here to get support
atomicdog
Expert

Re: Desoldering motor wires caution

Post by atomicdog »

kylejohnson wrote:When using a multimeter I miraculously find that the connections for the M3 wires are still working, except for one: square pad to transistor. I am hoping someone more knowledgeable could instruct me as to where I could connect a patch wire? Or otherwise help me figure out why square pad to transistor connection is not working? M3 Square pad to +BATT works and M3 Square pad to circle works, so some parts of the M3 square pad are ok ok. Here are my readings, with photos..
The round pads that are near the transistor connect to the transistor. The square pads should not. When the round pad got ripped off it did leave a hole that looks square though :) .

What about the other side of the pcb? Is the M3 round pad ripped of there too? If not, when you solder the wire in the hole you can try to bend the wire over so it touches the transistor pin and then solder it to the pin also.
6-DOF CF | wireless xbox 360 controller
kylejohnson
Beginner

Post by kylejohnson »

atomicdog wrote:The round pads that are near the transistor connect to the transistor. The square pads should not. When the round pad got ripped off it did leave a hole that looks square though :) .

What about the other side of the pcb? Is the M3 round pad ripped of there too? If not, when you solder the wire in the hole you can try to bend the wire over so it touches the transistor pin and then solder it to the pin also.
Wonderful! I just hand-tested connecting the circle pad to the transistor during power on and the M3 blade spun! :mrgreen:

Yes, the M3 pads on the other side of the PCB are in perfect condition. I'll upload a pic of the final patch wire once I solder it. Many thanks! I can't wait to get to flying again. 8-)
kylejohnson
Beginner

Post by kylejohnson »

Instead of using a patch wire, I decided to just extend a blob of solder to cover the circle pad and the transistor lead. Photos:
final_patch.jpg
Photo of the underside where I clipped and soldered the motor wires, instead of touching the PCB again. Covered up with electrical tape:
final_patch_underside.jpg
..and, I'm back in business! :ugeek:
final_patch_flying.jpg
Thanks again, atomicdog!