Using a USB game controller with Android? [Solved]

Post here to get support
LittleGreyCat
Beginner

Using a USB game controller with Android? [Solved]

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I've just put my Crazyflie 2 together and it works - but zooms away much like at the end of the installation video. Probably some balancing to do. Although some forum posts seem to suggest that it should be fairly stable and balance itself.

The beginners' instructions say that you can control it from the Android App (my current method) but you get more control using the PC app, a game controller/joystick, and a radio dongle.

A quick web search and I see that you can connect a game controller like the Xbox 360 USB to an Android phone or tablet (using an OTG cable) and use it with Android games without any special configuration.

This made me wonder if you could use a USB game controller with the Android App to fly the Crazyflie 2.

Even if you can't do this currently, it does seem a neat way of being able to walk round with a joystick attached to a phone and fly anywhere instead of being tied to a PC.
Last edited by LittleGreyCat on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Using a USB game controller with Android?

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

The Crazyflie will always require you to compensate for small drifts. We are about to release a new version with new stabilization setting that should improve the current flight performance.

You can fly with a gamepad using the android app. There is some documentation about it on the wiki: https://wiki.bitcraze.io/doc:crazyflie: ... roid:index

If you have a Crazyradio you can also try to connect a Crazyradio to the android app: it will work with less latency which can help a lot.
LittleGreyCat
Beginner

Re: Using a USB game controller with Android?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Thanks. :D

Will investigate.
Edit: The PC software seems to accept a wide range of controllers, including the Xbox 360. Is the PS3 (or compatible) the only option for Android? Ideally I would like to be able to use the same controller with the PC and Android phone/tablet.

Now if I could only source a CrazyRadio PA in the UK....... :(
LittleGreyCat
Beginner

Re: Using a USB game controller with Android? [Solved]

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just to note that now I know that you can do it, I've started a thread in the General forum to discuss WHICH game controller to use. :D