PS3 six-axis with VirtualBox Ubuntu

Post here to get support
buildsrobots
Beginner

PS3 six-axis with VirtualBox Ubuntu

Post by buildsrobots »

Description: I can't connect the PS3 controller to the VirtualBox Ubuntu. The PS3 controller requires Bluetooth 2.0 (EHCI). However, the VirtualBox cannot start with Bluetooth 2.0 or higher.

First Attempt: I try to follow instructions https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sixaxis
Result: I am stuck at "sudo sixpair" - I receive "no controllers found on USB busses". Command "lsusb" does not show Playstation(R)3 controller, even though it is in the VirtualBox manager (I added it there).
Assumption: Ubuntu does not recognize the PS3 controller because the VirtualBox is set to USB 1.1 (OHCI).

Second Attempt: Use VirtualBox Manager to set USB to USB 2.0 (EHCI) as required by PS3 controller.
Result: Cannot open VirtualBox session. "Start" (including headless Start) produces "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine", with details of "VD: Backend 'VMDK' does not support discard (VERR_VD_DISCARD_NOT_SUPPORTED).
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
"

Environment:
Windows 8
Oracle VirtualBox 5.0.4
Bitcraze VM 0.6
Xubuntu 14.10
PS3 controller (factory, not generic)
chad
Expert

Re: PS3 six-axis with VirtualBox Ubuntu

Post by chad »

I have not had any luck connecting a PS3 controller wirelessly in VirtualBox. I've come to the conclusion that it's not possible, but then I am a pessimist - especially when I keep trying something without success. :(
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.