**SOLVED** Short / Motor runs constant

Post here to get support
waltsbrian
Beginner

**SOLVED** Short / Motor runs constant

Post by waltsbrian »

Hello -
Maybe you can help me out - crazyflie came in the other day, put it together, got it flying. Went through two charge cycles worth of flying.... gave it a final charge (unplugged after full charge) and went to bed at 4am!!! (thanks!) woke up this morning and went to fly some, it powered on fine, but Motor 2 twitched instead of spinning, checked for hair and compressed propeller but everything seemed fine. went ahead for flight anyway. powered up again, connected fine, push thrust, got air, then radio lost packets and cut off. repeated problem. I figured, ok maybe battery discharged, plugged into charge, light blinked for a bit then went solid within 5min, attempted to power on crazyflie again and nothing. removed battery checked props.. plugged in batter and motor 2 starts full speed, no other lights on. removed battery, checked all motor connections for shorts/frayed wire etc.. nothing. from here on everytime I connect the battery m2 spins full speed and no other lights come on. unsoldered m2 and replaced with new motor. same situation. unsoldered m2 and kept it off the pcb, plugged in battery and it powered on just fine. connects ok without m2, all controls,radio and thrusts work fine without m2 connected. reiterating, I checked for all visible problems, all solders look ok (messy but ok, no shorts I can see) got any ideas to fix? perhaps a short somewhere in a chip?

another question from me:
can you replace just the pcb? I don't see one on the seeed site...

Brian
Last edited by waltsbrian on Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atomicdog
Expert

Re: Short / Motor runs constant

Post by atomicdog »

You can download the schematic and use a multimeter to check the resistors and transistor for M2. Sounds like a short across the drain and source of Q2. Or a short near the resistors causing the gate to always be on.
6-DOF CF | wireless xbox 360 controller
waltsbrian
Beginner

Post by waltsbrian »

thanks I'll look into it tomorrow - about the second question... is there a link or way to order just the pcb without the props, motors, radio etc...?

Brian
atomicdog
Expert

Post by atomicdog »

waltsbrian wrote:thanks I'll look into it tomorrow - about the second question... is there a link or way to order just the pcb without the props, motors, radio etc...?

Brian
They plan on selling just the Crazyflie eventually.
But, I don't know if they would sell it without the motors and props.
6-DOF CF | wireless xbox 360 controller
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi,
waltsbrian wrote: can you replace just the pcb? I don't see one on the seeed site...
Currently you can only order the kit, but we are looking at splitting it up. We still haven't decided into how small "pieces" we should split it though...

/Marcus
waltsbrian
Beginner

Post by waltsbrian »

Mark this one as solved, it was the mosfet transistor on M2. Ordered new ones from mouser electronics here in Texas for .58 cents each and 6.99 shipping :/

Flys great now!

Brian