Confused Newbie

Post here to get support
dins
Beginner

Confused Newbie

Post by dins »

Hi there

Iv'e recently purchased a CF2 - I set it up to work on a PC - windows 7 with a Crazyradio PA - installed the Virtual Box and Bitcraze VM 0.6

I'm using Logitech Gamepad F310 to fly it, set to Generic_OS_X.

Initially I had the CF2 flying very well - it was very responsive and a delight to fly - I crashed it acouple of times, and I have replaced engine mounts 4 times.

The crashes were not heavy-duty -I was surprised how easily the engine mounts broke. I have a Hubsan X4 and have crashed it much more severly, with no damage.

I was very happy, and getting the hang of landing the CF2 on books and CD's - spinning it around - flying backwards - sideways - doing great - THEN the CF2 started to fly very erratically - taking "Wobblers" and flying off in odd directions - not responding to the Gamepad.

This is when engine mounts broke..

I did notice a distinct change in the Engine Sounds - I have listened to the Engines individually, and exchanged 2 engines as their sound was slightly different.

I have balanced the propellers using a minute ammount of nail varnish.

I have also tried using an iMac and my iPhone as an alternative, but it makes no difference to erratic performance.

When, on the odd occasion I can actually get the CF2 to hold a static position, I notice that the rear/left side is lower.

I have balanced the battery - the CF2 is very level when I have it switched off.

I'm unsure how to go about updating the systems - I'm not familiar with the terminology such as "Flashing" etc.. I presume that you use the Firefox browser on the home page to download the updates, then find them in the Downloads file.

I'm unable to open the Bootloader - as I presume this is where these files are supposed to go...

Can some kind person please give me a bit of advice please.... Many thanks Dins
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Confused Newbie

Post by tobias »

Hi Dins,

To me it sounds like there is something wrong with the Crazyflie 2.0. My initial guess is that it is a known sensor soldering issue. See this forum thread.

Have you ever, when powering it on, seen the RED led (M4) blink 5 times (failing selftest)?

When this erratic behavior occurs you can have a look in the console output of the cfclient and see if outputs similar to this post (I2CDEV: Error callback nr: 1024)

If that is the case please PM me or send us an email and we help you out.
dins
Beginner

Post by dins »

Thanks Tobias

The light on M4 flashes Red once, then Flashes Green a few times - then comes on again, Buzzing Green when I connect the Crazyradio PA.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

The light on M4 flashes Red once, then Flashes Green a few times - then comes on again, Buzzing Green when I connect the Crazyradio PA.
That is as it should then. You can have a look at the get started page to see a failed self test under testing.

Then the next thing to test is if sensor communication fails during flight. That you can see in the console output tab and you should be getting some I2CDEV: Error callback nr: 1024 printouts.

See below picture showing the console tab. Can be viewed by view->tab->console.
Attachments
Consol tab.png
dins
Beginner

Post by dins »

Hello Tobias

I have followed your instructions - The self test is a Pass.
The console
The console
CF2.tiff (391.1 KiB) Viewed 7022 times
What's the next step ?

Many thanks

Dins
dins
Beginner

Post by dins »

I see I'm missing

MB1242 12C connection

Thanks

Dins
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I see I'm missing , MB1242 12C connection
Ah its because I was helping out in another thread were one wants to attach a ultrasonic distance sensor and a took the screen shot using the firmware.

You output looks OK so then we have to try to find out if something happens during flight. Fly the Crazyflie until you see the erratic behavior then get back to the console and see if you get something similar to the console output below. You should be looking for I2CDEV: Error callback nr: 1024 marked in bold.
SYS: ----------------------------
SYS: Crazyflie is up and running!
SYS: Build 0:29624e7f6e3b (2014.12.1) CLEAN
SYS: I am 0x3134383531334701310023 and I have 1024KB of flash!
IMU: MPU9250 I2C connection [OK].
IMU: AK8963 I2C connection [OK].
IMU: LPS25H I2C connection [OK].
EEPROM: I2C connection [OK].
AK8963: Self test [OK].
LPS25H: Self test [OK].
OW: Found 0.
SYS: Free heap: 6048 bytes
30 78 42 43 0 50 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7D
Status 0
Status 0
Status 0
Status 0
I2CDEV: Error callback nr: 1024
dins
Beginner

Post by dins »

Hello Tobias

I do not get a 12CDEV: Error callback nr:1024

Iv'e done 4 flights - each one lost control. but the console looks fine.

Thanks

Dins
dins
Beginner

Post by dins »

I have bought a Crazyflie 1 on eBay - Delivery in 3 days or so.

That will give us something to compare the CF2 with...

Dins
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Iv'e done 4 flights - each one lost control. but the console looks fine.
Hmm, something is anyway definitely wrong because it should be pretty stable. Then my best bet is a vibration problem. The sound tells a lot about how much vibrations there are. It should sound pretty silent when it has low vibrations. You can also hold it in your hand to get a feeling for how much vibrations there are. Here's what you can do.

Hold it in your hand and block all but one propeller. Thrust up for a short while (not too long since you are stalling the other motors) and feel the vibrations. Do this for each propeller/propeller and you should be able to find the problematic ones.

Try to balance those propellers but it might also be that the motor axis is bent (can often be bent back with a pair of pliers)