Got it, flew it, stored it, fount it and now I'm confused..

Post here to get support
Fucitol
Beginner

Got it, flew it, stored it, fount it and now I'm confused..

Post by Fucitol »

Hi all,

You can skip this part:
I havent touched my Crazyflie 1.0 for about a year and since the weather here is improving I thought I'd pick it up again and do some flying.

So I've updated the firmware of the Crazyradio to work on my new Macbook. Then I flashed the latest available binary firmware for the Crazyflie (found at https://bitbucket.org/bitcraze/crazyfli ... downloads/) and installed all dependencies / software.

Problem:
Client starts fine, can connect to the Crazyflie just fine and controls using PS3 controller also work. However, I get no response in the UI when flying. No battery level and no flight data (horizon indicator and motor power). Also the logger doesn't show anything. I checked out the latest version from Github of the client.

I'm a bit confused since on github there is no clear difference between repositories for the CF1 or CF2. The firmware repo only speaks of the CF2 so no idea if I can use that to build a new one.

Is there an up to date tutorial for flying the CF1? Which firmware is compatible with which client?

Thanks!
alex
Expert

Re: Got it, flew it, stored it, fount it and now I'm confuse

Post by alex »

Fucitol wrote:Hi all,

You can skip this part:
I havent touched my Crazyflie 1.0 for about a year and since the weather here is improving I thought I'd pick it up again and do some flying.

So I've updated the firmware of the Crazyradio to work on my new Macbook. Then I flashed the latest available binary firmware for the Crazyflie (found at https://bitbucket.org/bitcraze/crazyfli ... downloads/) and installed all dependencies / software.

Problem:
Client starts fine, can connect to the Crazyflie just fine and controls using PS3 controller also work. However, I get no response in the UI when flying. No battery level and no flight data (horizon indicator and motor power). Also the logger doesn't show anything. I checked out the latest version from Github of the client.

I'm a bit confused since on github there is no clear difference between repositories for the CF1 or CF2. The firmware repo only speaks of the CF2 so no idea if I can use that to build a new one.

Is there an up to date tutorial for flying the CF1? Which firmware is compatible with which client?

Thanks!
At present there are different branches of the CF firmware:

- master for Crazyflie 1.0
- crazyflie2 for Crazyflie 2.0

Before building the firmware you need to make sure that you're on the appropriate branch for your Crazyflie 1.0:

Code: Select all

git checkout master
The PC Client should match both firmware versions.
Fucitol
Beginner

Post by Fucitol »

That was quick, thanks!

Setup development tools on OSX, build the firmware on the master branch and flashed it (version 2015.1). Everything now working as intended!

Is there something known about battery wear? It seemed to drop pretty quick, red light indicated low battery after about 5 minutes. Guess I'll order a spare battery (and motors + rotors) soon.

Thanks again Alex!

edit: relevant thread where someone experienced the exact same problem: http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php? ... mory#p6309
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

Glad I was able to help.

Nominal flight time for the CF 1.0 is about 7 minutes, but it depends on your flight style, of course. No further experience with battery wear since I'm developing most of the time... :)