Crazyflie Documentation

Post here to get support
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflie Documentation

Post by arnaud »

Hi drnow,

You need to clone the Crazyflie client repos https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-clients-python in the same folder as the firmware repos, the cloader program is part of the python client project.
jackemoore

Post by jackemoore »

Hi drnow, Slaxx, arnaud,

Re: Crazyflie 2.0 firmware flashing within VM

Following the tutorial on VM in WMware for Win 7, I installed WMware Player 7.1.0 and imported Bitcraze VM 0.6 along with the VMtools package. After updating all projects, Eclipse was used to create a project using copy and paste named Copy of Crazyflie-Firmware. A source file was then modified (module/source neopixeling.c), and this was compiled, then a new build was generated. So far, all of this appeared to work successfully.

I experienced the same error 127 as reported by drnow Sun Mar 29 2015 when attempting to Flash Using Radio. Also, tried flashing the original Crazyflie-Firmware Project firmware and got the same cfloader/cload error. The Copy of Crazyflie-Firmware directory was stored in the /Home/Bitcraze/Eclipse_Workspace directory and all the original firmware directories are stored in /home/bitcraze/Desktop/projects/ directory.

After several failed attempts, I finally copied the directory crazyflie-clients-python found in /home/bitcraze/Desktop/projects/ to the directory eclipse_workspace found in /home/bitcraze/. With this change I was then able to successfully "flash using radio" within Eclispe both the Copy of Crazyflie-Firmware project firmware as well as the original Crazyflie-Firmware project firmware.

I know close to nothing about Linux Xubuntu and terminology and wasn't sure how best to clone the githib crazyflie-clients-python into the needed directory.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi Guys,

Why are you copying the project in another folder? The Virtual machine is pre-setup to have all our repos cloned in the same directory and Eclipse already have the crazyflie firmware in the workspace.

I am suspecting there is some documentation somewhere that pushes you to clone somewhere else and get things in a non fully working state, I want to track it down.
jackemoore

Post by jackemoore »

Hi arnaud,

After installing VM and firing up Eclipse, "flash using radio" did not work for me on the included "crazyflie-firmware" project, nor on the suggested tutorial "copy of crazyflie-firmware" project. Team branch was at default " * crazyflie2 ". The error I was seeing was the same as reported by drnow. The only way I could get around this was to put a copy of "crazyflie-clients-python " folder inside the "eclipse_workspace" folder. I know this is not what is supposed to happen, but I don't know why the "flash using radio" wasn't able to resolve the directory path to python? Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
jackemoore

Post by jackemoore »

I uninstalled WMware Player 7.1.0 using windows uninstall program and reloaded everything from the beginning. This time the pre-installed "crazyflie-firmware" project was successful in using "flash using radio" within Eclipse. Don't know what happened different from the first VM install, everything looked the same to me, but the second install worked. Still not sure what the proper procedure is to make a copy of the pre-installed project that puts it in the projects directory. The default paste puts it in the eclipse workspace. When I uncheck the default location and browse to the projects directory, I get unintended results. Sometimes the paste is unsuccessful and is reporting resources are already there conflicts. When I paste a copy into the eclipse workspace and put a copy of the python directory in the same directory, everything appears to work successfully. Although currently quite good, perhaps someday the tutorial might have a bit more "how to" instructions for a newbie like me.

arnaud, you say " Eclipse already have the crazyflie firmware in the workspace", but I don't see actual directories for this in the eclipse_workspace directory. I do see them in the projects directory. If you feel I'm addressing minutiae, I apologize. Sorry.
Slaxx

Post by Slaxx »

Go into the projects folder and Create a new Folder for your Project.
Then you copy the Crazyflie Project in eclipse and paste it. Instead of using the default folder chose the one you just created.
After that everything works as it should. Just tested it.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

I just did this and it works (the host is windows 10):
- Downloading the virutual machine 0.6
- Importing it in VirtualBox
- Launching the VM and running "update all repository"
- Launching eclipse from the desktop icon, it contains already 4 projects including the Crazyflie firmware
- I modify one string (in module/src/system.c)
- I launch the make target "make CLOAD" and then "flash using crazyradio" while restarting the crazyflie2 in bootloader mode
- It works and when I reconnect the crazyflie with the client I can see my new text in the console.

I'm going to make a wiki page with screenshot out of that, it is actually a good starting guide :).

For the workspace folder it is normal that it is empty: the projects are imported in eclipse but they stays in place in the ~/projects folder, they are not copied in the workspace. And you are not supposed to copy the projects anywhere else (you can if you want, then you need to keep the client in the same folder, but it is not required). The repos cloned in ~/projects are git repos so you can start working directly in them: create a branch, add your github as remote and you are good to go!

I will make a page on the wiki and come back for requesting comments :).

Ps. I could download the VM quickly, at 15MB/sec, using torrent. There is now some seeders, thanks to them! :-D
jackemoore

Post by jackemoore »

Thanks Slaxx. I replicated your instructions and as you said it worked. Before I was using the "create folder" after pushing paste/uncheck/browse and maybe somehow I was getting into trouble doing it this way. Thanks again.
jackemoore

Post by jackemoore »

Hi,
I ordered a 1.5g UBLOX MAX-M8C Pico Breakout for my CF2 and hope to become a bit more facile (lol) in using your excellent tools and tutorials.