VirtualBox on OS X can't use a PS3 controller :/

Post here to get support
tommyw
Beginner

VirtualBox on OS X can't use a PS3 controller :/

Post by tommyw »

So I tried to get cfclient running using the virtual machine from BitCraze but no go. The PS3 controller is greyed out in the Devices meny and can't be selected and VirtualBox says it's "unavailable". Tried to add a filter but that didn't help at all. The radio dongle works just fint btw.

Any ideas?
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: VirtualBox on OS X can't use a PS3 controller :/

Post by marcus »

Hi,

What's the host OS? Windows 7?

Are you running any applications in the host OS that is using the PS3 gamepad?

/Marcus
tommyw
Beginner

Post by tommyw »

OS X 10.8.3 and no explicit usage.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hmm, I must have been a bit tired and missed the headline where it said OSX :(

Unfortunately we don't have access to a any computer with OSX on it so I can't test this. You could try to set it up directly in OSX as well, here are some notes on how to get going.
allynbauer
Beginner

Post by allynbauer »

I had an identical problem. I was unable to determine how to convince OS X (10.7.5) to release its death-hold on the controller. However, I was able to get it operational natively in OS X. First, I followed all the steps on this post: http://crazyflie.blogspot.com/2013/02/s ... -os-x.html

I was then able to launch the client from the source directory with this command:

Code: Select all

./bin/cfclient
This got the UI running but the radio would fail to show up when I 'scanned' for the copter. The same blog has a suggestion on a remedy http://crazyflie.blogspot.com/2013/05/f ... 8401810286

At first, libusb failed to install correctly.
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.8...
Error: Could not symlink file: /usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.8
/usr/local/Library/LinkedKegs is not writable. You should change its permissions.
Instead of determining the best permissions to apply to the offending directory, I took a somewhat heavy handed approach:

sudo chmod 777 /usr/local/Library/LinkedKegs/
With libusb installed I was finally able to get the copter in the air. Perhaps this approach is a viable alternative for you.
tommyw
Beginner

Post by tommyw »

Ended up importing the disk image to VMWare fusion instead. Now everything works just hunky-dory :D

Installing the necessary packages through MacPorts seems to work okish, lots of errors and exceptions in the terminal, so I don't feel 100% comfortable running it natively yet.

sudo port install mercurial libusb python27 py-pyusb-devel py27-pyqt4 py27-game