Newbie start, stability problems...

Post here to get support
rebit

Newbie start, stability problems...

Post by rebit »

Hello,

Im starting with Crazyflie 2.0...

Battery charging ok, mount ok.

But i cant fly with stability, the drone always go to one side and i cant control it...

Any ideas to right start ? The propellers already balanced.
sub7
Beginner

Re: Newbie start, stability problems...

Post by sub7 »

I think that you have the fine tune your cfclient
make a bit lower your thrust and max angle
play with roll et pitch - and +
mlundh
Beginner

Post by mlundh »

I would recommend to keep the two blue leds towards you at all times in the beginning as this makes the copter go left if you push the stick left and vice versa. Also try to use small stick inputs, even if the copter is drifting quite fast. It should slow down by itself if you do not move the pitch/roll stick. It will most likely still not be perfectly still(this has been discussed in many threads here, and is in fact a very difficult, almost impossible, problem given the sensors available on the cf2), but the drift should be slow.

I have also noticed that it is easier to start "fast", that is, get away from the ground fast, do not try to hover at less than approx. 10 cm. If you are too low then the turbulence created by the propellers will be trapped between the copter and the ground, with will make it very difficult for the regulators onboard to compensate for any control error. If you notice that you are loosing control of the cf2, just kill the motors, it will be a softer crash if it just falls to the ground rather than goes full power into the ground...

Good luck!
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

rebit wrote:But i cant fly with stability, the drone always go to one side and i cant control it...
Could you post a video of what it the flight looks like when you take off or try to maintain a hover?

Is it possible you've got the wrong propellers mounted on some of the motors? Are any of the propellers pressed down too far on the shaft and being slowed down by binding against the motor case? Are all the motors fully seated in the motor mounts? Are all the motor mounts fully seated on the airframe arms?

Any or all of these things could cause an unbalanced flight. A video might help determine how drastic the side to side movement is and help in diagnosing the issue. Bias toward one direction can be corrected with trim but if it is too drastic, this correction might not be enough and there might be another mechanical issue to blame...

Another thing you can try: if you have crashed a lot or hit the ceiling, you might have damaged your propellers subtly. You got two sets of propellers with your kit, try swapping out all the propellers and see if it makes any difference. You can also try putting a motor on just the M1 arm and while holding the Crazyflie with one hand, put the thrust up to max and feel for vibrations. Try this with all the propellers. If one seems to vibrate more than others, don't use that one. See if you can find the ones that vibrate the least and keep those to install. Remember, there needs to be two clockwise and two counter-clockwise propellers so you might want to test them in sets.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
rebit

Post by rebit »

chad, thanks again to your great support.

I will try again this week to fly. I built my PS3 + Smartphone, but im still have problems to be a nice flight with CF 2.0...

I will make a video and try in a Park here in Brazil.

I already broke two plastic motor connectors... I have more one to subst.