motor resistance/friction

Discussions about quadcopters/multi-rotors
g3rb
Beginner

motor resistance/friction

Post by g3rb »

Hi..
I recently bought a crazyflie and now I see that 2 motors work less than the 2 others. When I tried to rotating them manually I can feel that they don t turn as well as the 2 others, they seems to have more friction and the result is that they start a bit after and need more power than the 2 others.

Is that someone has already had the same problem ?
Is there any way to fix it ?
Maybe lubricate it ? but with which product ?

thanks
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: motor resistance/friction

Post by tobias »

Can you find the source of the problem? Is the propeller pressed down to much? Does the little bearing beneath the propeller look de-pressed?
g3rb
Beginner

Post by g3rb »

I just broke this motor yesterday evening and when I removed it I understood what's happened

here's a picture of my broken motor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd2wr171sko4i ... 171343.jpg

as you can see the crazyflies arms break the motor. When the crazyflie fall down and get a shock the arms create a bump on the motor and more the crazyflie got shocks more deeper is the bump until the motor is broken.

In fact this is not a problem of lubricant or whatever, but just a problem of shocks.

Maybe the motor mount should have a little plastic part to protect the motor from arms or something that just avoid the contact of the arm with the motor ??

(sorry for my english..)
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Your English seem perfectly fine, I can understand you well ;-)

It is a known problem which unfortunately isn't easy to fix, see [url*=http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php? ... ount#p2184]this [/url]thread. But there are workarounds, e.g. to add soft landing gears or to put a bit of cut rubber band, or similar, between the arm and the motor.