SLAM with the crazyflie

Discussions about quadcopters/multi-rotors
yonim
Beginner

SLAM with the crazyflie

Post by yonim »

Hi,

We're going to install a small camera and a transmitter on the crazyflie and receive the video on a laptop.
On the laptop we're going to run a Visual Inertial SLAM algorithm using the video and the IMU sensor information.

Do you recommend using a VM or a native platform for the deployment? Which native platform?

Thanks, Yoni
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: SLAM with the crazyflie

Post by tobias »

I think the VM will be to slow to run image processing algorithms. I would go for linux (we use Ubuntu).
yonim
Beginner

Post by yonim »

Hi,

Can you please share a link to the installation instructions of all the software needed to control the drone from Ubuntu?
Is there any other link/information you could share to expedite our project (camera installation on the drone or a specific SLAM algorithm)?

Thanks, Yoni,
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

To install it nativly on Ubuntu you should look in the readme of the relevant projects on Github. For example the cfclient.

As for the SLAM we can't help you much but there is a forum thread here you can start checking out.
wydmynd

Post by wydmynd »

I am considering doing this too, using RtabMap. I will be happy to know any information you can share. one of the problems I see in previous works is analog video noise artifacts.