use other drone controller?

Discussions about quadcopters/multi-rotors
emili0
Beginner

use other drone controller?

Post by emili0 »

Hello,

I'm new to this whole quadcopter thing, but have both a Crazyflie 2.0 and a JJRC F182. Anyone know if it would be possible to get the controller from the F182 to control the Crazyflie?

Thanks,
Emilio
chad
Expert

Re: use other drone controller?

Post by chad »

Hi emili0! Welcome to the forum!!

From a quick internet search, it looks like the JJRC F182 uses a NRF24L01+ chip just like the Crazyflie does. The problem here is, you need to get transmitter to "speak" the Crazyflie protocol rather than the V222 protocol it currently uses. You would have to hack the controller firmware to get the transmitter to talk to the Crazyflie and that might be tough, if possible at all. Conversely, I guess you could hack the Crazyflie firmware to understand V222 protocol but that might be tough too - even though it's likely more possible (since you have full access to the Crazyflie firmware).

You might want to look into getting a Devo7e transmitter from Walkera and hardware modding it with a NRF24L01+ chip, then using deviationTX firmware so you can use it to control both your F182 and your Crazyflie. This is a much more accessible route albeit costing you a bit more ($80 to $100 USD for the controller, NRF module and misc supplies to do the hardware hack - depending on the price you can get the Devo7e for).
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
emili0
Beginner

Post by emili0 »

Thanks so much, Chad!
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

emili0 wrote:Thanks so much, Chad!
You're welcome! Have fun modding if you choose that route. I LOVE my Devo7e for Crazyflie flying, I can't express that enough!! :)
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.