WiFi streamer demo with NINA connected to an Access Point

Discussions about the AI-deck
computerpolice
Beginner

WiFi streamer demo with NINA connected to an Access Point

Post by computerpolice »

Hello!

A couple of things I need to discuss here:

1- Can I run the wifi video streamer example if my NINA module was connected to an access point instead of being the access point?

2- I tried to connect NINA to an access point as instructed here (https://www.bitcraze.io/documentation/r ... -streamer/) but wasn't able to run the command $make menuconfig. Any idea why? I was able to run the wifi streamer example successfully with NINA's default access point "Bitcraze AI-deck example" so I'm assuming the prerequisites in the instructional document are already met.

Some extra information. I'm running the example from inside the Ubuntu Bitcraze VM. This is the log from when I try to enter the menu:

Code: Select all

bitcraze@ubuntu:~/Desktop/AIdeck_examples/NINA/firmware$ make menuconfig
Makefile:3: /make/project.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/make/project.mk'.  Stop.
Thank you!
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: WiFi streamer demo with NINA connected to an Access Point

Post by kimberly »

1- Yes that is possible indeed :) as you already found

2- You would need to setup your environment to be able to build the nina firmware, which is based on the expressif-esp project. Those instructions can be found here, but if you are not in the mood to set this up yourselve, I highly recommend using the docker container that we have made for this (find the instructions for those, here.
computerpolice
Beginner

Post by computerpolice »

Thank you Kimberly!

A follow up question is, would I be able to run Bitcraze's VM using a different virtual machine software such as VM Ware Fusion (I operate on MacOS) instead of VirtualBox? I currently can't connect my VM to my organization's WiFi for security reasons this is why I'm thinking of switching virtual machine softwares.
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

We advise virtual box ourselves as we actually build the VM with that software, but we don't see a reason why it would not work on others. Just make sure that whatever VM hosting software you use, it is handling the USB connections with your debugger properly.