communication efficiency of current version

Discussions about the AI-deck
noah2021
Beginner

communication efficiency of current version

Post by noah2021 »

Hi all, I'm going to use crazyflie 2.1 and AI deck for visual navigation. But today I saw this blog:

"Moreover, the communication protocol from the GAP8 to the STM32 of the Crazyflie is currently very basic, as of right now, it is only possible to send single characters. It might work in some situations, but what if you would like to send an array of values back to the Crazyflie, like the collision probability & steering angle like in PULP platform’s implementation of Dronet? And, would we like to keep on using two UART serial ports or perhaps just relay both NINA and GAP8 communication all through one? The later will make it easier for us to maintain the crazyflie-aideck communication but can perhaps introduce communication delays."

I'm wondering if the current AI deck is able to deal with efficient data communication for autonomous navigation if I need to send back some information to control the crazyflie? Or Shall I wait for an update of the AI deck? Or does this communication-related issue will be upgraded with the firm? I'm really a newbie to the crazyflie. Thank you in advance!
gemenerik
Beginner

Re: communication efficiency of current version

Post by gemenerik »

Hi Noah!

You can already implement communication for e.g. autonomous navigation between the AI-deck and the Crazyflie. The set-up, however, is a little tricky, especially if you are new to the platform/embedded programming. If you can afford to wait, we are working on firmware updates to make it easier to implement.
noah2021
Beginner

Post by noah2021 »

gemenerik wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:03 am Hi Noah!

You can already implement communication for e.g. autonomous navigation between the AI-deck and the Crazyflie. The set-up, however, is a little tricky, especially if you are new to the platform/embedded programming. If you can afford to wait, we are working on firmware updates to make it easier to implement.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Do you know how soon the update will be available? Does it mean that I can buy the AI deck 1.1 now and I don't need a newer AI deck to use the updated implementation? Thank you.
gemenerik
Beginner

Post by gemenerik »

noah2021 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:20 am

Hi, thank you for your reply. Do you know how soon the update will be available? Does it mean that I can buy the AI deck 1.1 now and I don't need a newer AI deck to use the updated implementation? Thank you.
Yes, you can get the AI deck 1.1. It will just be a software update. We are currently focusing on the BAM days, but will resume work on the AI deck shortly. I expect some form of implementation in a matter of weeks, but you can expect it at least before the end of the year.
noah2021
Beginner

Post by noah2021 »

gemenerik wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:55 am
noah2021 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:20 am

Yes, you can get the AI deck 1.1. It will just be a software update. We are currently focusing on the BAM days, but will resume work on the AI deck shortly. I expect some form of implementation in a matter of weeks, but you can expect it at least before the end of the year.
Thank you for your reply! Let me order the AI deck 1.1 now :D