Base Stations Range

Topics related to the Lighthouse positioning system, configuration and use
purvisb
Beginner

Base Stations Range

Post by purvisb »

I read that the lighthouse v2 base station has a range of 6m. If I put one base station 12 meters away from another base station, could a crazyflie drone reliably position itself in the 12 meter area between the two base stations?

I would imagine the reliability would be the same as just have one base station in range at any instance. But I wanted to make sure.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Re: Base Stations Range

Post by kristoffer »

Yes the range is 6 meters and the Crazyflie needs coverage of one or more base stations to fly autonomously.

It is unlikely that you manage to get useful coverage 6 meters away from a base station though. The sensors are on the top of the Crazyflie and you need a bit of an angle to the base station, which makes it necessary to place the base station some distance above the flight path. Further more if you are flying away from the base station, the Crazyflie will tilt and "hide" the sensors from the base station which also has to be taken into account.

An idea is to place the base stations in the ceiling facing straight down (I have actually not tested this but I think it should work) and start flying on one side of the first base station, pass the base stations one by one and end up on the other side of the second base station. With the base stations at around 2.2 meters height I think you could make 12 meters close to the ground.