Cannot detect V1 Basestations

Topics related to the Lighthouse positioning system, configuration and use
Samiam
Beginner

Cannot detect V1 Basestations

Post by Samiam »

Hello,
I'm following the latest video uploaded by bitcraze on youtube (getting started with the lighthouse), everything seems to work fine up until the point where I need to assign the basestation channels. I press scan but it doesn't detect anything. Is there something else going wrong or is it not compatible with V1? It looks like I can't change system type till after I've assigned channels, and I assume I'd change it from V2 to V1 there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Re: Cannot detect V1 Basestations

Post by kristoffer »

Hi!

Setting the base station channel this way only applies to V2 base stations. For V1 base stations please follow the standard guide lines from HTC/Vive depending on if you use a cable or not for synchronization. The system is compatible with V1 base stations but the channel can not be set via USB unfortunately.

I realize we completely forgot to document V1 base stations when writing the tutorial, sorry! I'll update it.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

I had another look and there is actually documentation for V1 but it is not very visible. There are two tabs in the https://www.bitcraze.io/documentation/t ... right-mode section, but it is not very visible. I'll try to improve it.
Samiam
Beginner

Post by Samiam »

Hi Kristoffer, thanks for taking the time to reply. So in the V1 tab it says: "On V1 base stations you change the mode with the small button on the back of the base station. The modes should be changed to ‘A’ and ‘b’ if you are using a sync cable and ‘b’ and ‘c’ without a sync cable." I've tried selecting the b and c channels manually using the button but couldn't see them popping up in the client. It also says it can be changed using a sync cable (you mentioned V1 doesn't work that way) to A and b but I've also tried that and it didn't work. Do you have any suggestions? My next step would be to try to set them through steam's VR app if there isn't anything I can do in the client.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

There is a bit of a mix up here. The V1 base stations should not be connected the the computer with a USB cable at all, unfortunately they do not have support for that. Configuration of the V1 base stations is done with the button on the back and the resulting mode is displayed on the front of the base station with a small 7-segment display. The client will not be able to get or display any information about the modes for V1 base stations.

The possible modes are A, b and c and they refer to how the base stations are synchronized to each other. V1 base stations are tightly synchronized and it can be done optically or through a synchronization cable (not USB) connected between the two base stations. If you chose the cable option you should use modes 'A' and 'b' while if you go for optical synch, the modes should be 'b' and 'c'.

I do see how you could interpret the tutorial this way, I'll see if I can improve it further. Thanks for the feedback!