[SOLVED] VM, why ?

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
Mitteau
Expert

[SOLVED] VM, why ?

Post by Mitteau »

Hello, my friends !
I'm asking for myself a question: why do I use a virtual machine to develop Bitcraze software?
It is complicated and often causes many problems with external devices.
So simple to use the PC's standard system! (Linux, of course!)
Jean-Claude
Last edited by Mitteau on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: VM, why ?

Post by arnaud »

Hi Jean-claude,

The plan with the VM is simplicity: you get everything installed and working our of the box instead of having to install a bank of software, language and compiler. For us it is also a way to not have to maintain one documentation for every OS (for example none of us is developping on windows, I am still not sure of how to get GCC/Make/Openocd to work properly on windows 10 ...).

The very big problem recently has been USB performance: the USB performance from virtualbox seems very bad and this has caused a lot of problems. This is one of the reason why I have built native version of the client for windows (and I still want to do the same for Mac ....), it mitigates the problem since flashing from the VM is not so much of a problem than flying with the client from the VM.

If you use linux, it is fairly simple to get all the projects to work naively.

/Arnaud
Mitteau
Expert

Re: VM, why ?

Post by Mitteau »

Hello Arnaud
Beginning to test development of Bitcraze software, I used the VM system. I stopped because usb devices did not fonction.
I understand your concern of portability. But it's not really difficult to install locally our personal development environment. Everything OK...
Jean-Claude