Android - HTC A9S - Cannot connect via Bluetooth

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
Sebalos
Beginner

Re: Cannot conect by bluetooth

Post by Sebalos »

Ok I solved the issue. Strange but crazyflies connected after I have turned on the localization function in phone. Without it, the app can't connect.
Why it doesn't work without localization?

Other point is about three icons in app led ring, front lights and sound. It doesn't work, why?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Thanks for the info for the localization! In the new android bluetooth low energy is considered as a localization technology (thanks to things like iBeacon). This is something that should be detected by the app in order to give a better message to the user. I will try to reproduce it and add a ticket in Github.

The buttons in the interface are currently only activated when using a Crazyradio attached with an on-the-go cable to the phone USB port.
Sebalos
Beginner

Post by Sebalos »

You are welcome ;)
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

I haven't had time to test yet but I have created the ticket anyway. For info it is there: https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-a ... /issues/65
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

Sebalos wrote:Ok I solved the issue. Strange but crazyflies connected after I have turned on the localization function in phone. Without it, the app can't connect.
Why it doesn't work without localization?
Hi,

Could you provide a screenshot of the settings menu, where you have to enable the "localization function"?
This would make it easier to reproduce the error and fix it.

Regards,

Fred
Sebalos
Beginner

Post by Sebalos »

Hi I start it directly in phone options, simple as that :) Just slide down bar menu where u have options like bluetooth, screen autorotation, etc. and there is also icon for localisation.
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

Do you mean the "Location" setting as seen in the picture below?
location.png
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

*bump*

Without additional info I can't fix this problem, because I have no way of reproducing it.
Sebalos
Beginner

Post by Sebalos »

HI sorry for delay. Yes that's it :)
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

I've searched extensively for information about this issue. I found a few comments saying that Google made changes in Android 6.0 that now require enabled location settings to be able to use Bluetooth. I know for a fact that this is not the case for all Android phones, because it's working fine on my Nexus 5x and several other phones running Android 6.0. It''s also not related to Android 7.0, because it works fine with Android 7.0 phones.

My conclusion so far is, that this is a specific problem with the HTC A9S (until someone can reproduce the problem with a different phone). Since I don't own a HTC A9S I can't debug this issue. A workaround has been found, so I won't investigate any further for now.