vl53l0x question

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
doctorlu
Beginner

vl53l0x question

Post by doctorlu »

Dear all,
I have a question about this laser ranging module. I use the code provided in the deck driver and give it a try. However, the ranging distance could only attain 1.2m or so, but I recall that this module could achieve as maximum as 2m ranging distance. May I ask if any specific regs of this module is not properly configured, so it can only result like this. What is the result after you guys have tested? Thanks
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: vl53l0x question

Post by tobias »

What we have seen as well is that it starts to get problems at around 1.2-1.5m. I think it is already configured for long distance measurements but it might be worth digging it to it to be really sure.
doctorlu
Beginner

Post by doctorlu »

Oh yes, so this is not only from my observation.
Have you guys decided to find out why it happens?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

My qualified guess is that the 2m distance is just in perfect conditions (over specified). I will put a ticket for it on github and hopefully someone will investigate it.
doctorlu
Beginner

Post by doctorlu »

Dear all,
I still have this question about Z-ranger. The laser sensor vl53l0x, is not always accessable using I2C. Sometimes, when the test board is powered up, the laser starts to work normally after quite a long time ( a few seconds from my observation ). We have ten such PCBs, all of which have such problem, even, some of the sensors cannot be accessed ever. Do you guys have such problem of Z-ranger? I use the same i2c code in the cf2 firmware to initialize it, but the device ID cannot be read out right.

EDIT: the only difference of the schematic is that we left GPIO1 and xshut pin floating. Will this cause a problem?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

xshut can't be left floating, that is where your problem is.