Problem after uploading the firmware

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
Acktarus
Beginner

Problem after uploading the firmware

Post by Acktarus »

Hello crazy people,

I just received my crazyflie 2.0 package and I of course tried to start my stuff.

I followed all the instruction in the "getting started with..." section but a problem appeared at the "update the firmware" step.

I connected the bootloader, did "click the program button", got the message crazyflie is updated, but then, the quad didn't reboots, the blue LED M2 remains on (no flashing).... I still did the next step (click connect button) but of course, nothing appended.

So, (don't know if it was a good idea) I unplugged the battery of the crazyflie and plugged it back. The LED M2 was still full blue.

So, I don't know what to do... :-/
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Problem after uploading the firmware

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

It is possible that the flashing failed, you can always restart the bootloader and try again (it is not possible to erase the radio bootloader while bootloading, this makes it safe).

You can restart the bootloader by pressing long the power button until M2 blinks and re-frash again.
Acktarus
Beginner

Post by Acktarus »

Hi Arnaud, thks for helping me.

Well, that is what I tried to do. But the copter remains on a "blocked steady-state" with this M2 blue diode lit.

Whatever I do, this diode is lit every fucking time. I tried to plug/unplug the battery, but nothing helps.

That sounds really bad and I even didn't had the possibility to flight at least one time with this crazy copter.

I tried again this morning (I'm from Belgium) but still the same. This evil M2 diode is blue. I cannot bootload something with a physical link (like an mini USB) to by-pass this "steady-state". The antenna cannot send information to reboot the quadcopter?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Can you switch off with the button? It could actually be a case where the button is not working properly.
Acktarus
Beginner

Post by Acktarus »

In the current situation, no.

But the button worked well when I first built the drone.
whoenig
Expert

Post by whoenig »

If the nrf-firmware is broken that might happen. A workaround is to:
1. Unplug the battery
2. Press the power button
3. Replug the battery (while keeping the power button pressed)
4. Keep the button pressed for ~3secs, until blue LED starts blinking
5. reflash

Doing 2+3 is tricky alone, you might want to ask a friend to help you out.
Acktarus
Beginner

Post by Acktarus »

whoenig wrote:If the nrf-firmware is broken that might happen. A workaround is to:
1. Unplug the battery
2. Press the power button
3. Replug the battery (while keeping the power button pressed)
4. Keep the button pressed for ~3secs, until blue LED starts blinking
5. reflash

Doing 2+3 is tricky alone, you might want to ask a friend to help you out.
Nice, it works! thks U. Now that the firmware is ok, my battery is out of power, damn it!

Just after the successful bootload, I tried to connect the drone. The scan recognised it, one step forward, but

I received an error message: Connection lost to radio ://0/2/2M: Too many packets lost.

Is it related to empty battery ? Or do I have to switch off my Wifi? something else?

Best regards.
whoenig
Expert

Post by whoenig »

I think it might not have found the drone correctly. If you just bought it, the default settings are radio://0/80/250K. Do the motors spin up and is the blinking of the LEDs as described in the user-guide?

It might be related to an empty battery. You can try connecting while the drone is powered over USB. WiFi is not an issue as long as the CF is "close" to the radio.
Acktarus
Beginner

Post by Acktarus »

In fact, I just bought it. When I try to connect, I only have the interface radio://0/2/2M

If the default should be radio://0/80/250k, could it be the problem?

About the drone, the on/off button doesn't work. When I unplug the battery, and plug it again, here is what happens:

1. both back blue LED M3 and M2 are fully lit for few seconds.
2. Then all the 4 motors spin one after the other with a sound, front LED blink green
3. M3 and M2 still fully lit blue. Front M1 LED blinks red every 2 sec. (according to the manuel, means that the sensor are not yet calibrated, which is strange because the drone is on a very flat surface)

If I unplug and plug again, I get the same behaviour. I don't know what to do. Any other idea?

Thank you
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I think it is either a problem with the button which has "hanged" in pressed state or that you flashed the wrong/corrupt firmware. If you see radio://0/2/2M it means the bootloader has started.

Is the power button working properly now?