Crazyflies random crash & related issues [SOLVED]

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
Leopardopt
Beginner

Crazyflies random crash & related issues [SOLVED]

Post by Leopardopt »

Hello,

I have been working with two crazyflies for a while now and I have noticed that at random points, one or two of them tend to flip over or move out of range in middle of a python code run. Would you know what would be the cause of these random flips? Since I have tried to charge the batteries close to max before each take off.

Sincerely,

Leopardopt
Last edited by Leopardopt on Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflies random crash & related issues

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

What positioning system are you using when that happen and what estimator/controller are you using? Can you maybe send a minimal python script where the problem happens so that we can test it here as well?
Leopardopt
Beginner

Post by Leopardopt »

Hello,

I am using the lighthouse deck with two V1 basestations. The python code that I am using is the regular swarmSequence.py with minor changes to the sequences. It sometimes works and most times crashes while doing the test with a second drone. The distance between them is enough to be able to avoid crash into each other but the drone behind the first drone ends up crashing in middle of the sequence run.

Sincerely,

Leopardopt
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi Leopardopt,

This is odd, we have not observed such a crash for quite some time (my experience with LHv1 in faires is that I got Crazyflies going up and down (Qi charging) for 8 hours without crash).

I will run some test on Monday in our flight lab to try to reproduce the problem. It is possible that a bug has appeared. The fact that it does work with one tend to show that the lighthouse system is not at fault and something else is happening, but I cannot think of anything that could happen so maybe I will find something while testing ...
Leopardopt
Beginner

Post by Leopardopt »

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time. In my case, the second drone that crashes half-way tends to flip over when crashing. Also, I have noticed that the battery is another issue because if the drones begin to fly, the batteries discharge twice as fast and so they need to be above 4.0V before each flight. I wish I could send you a video of what is going on but I can't attach videos here.

Sincerely,

Leopardopt
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Hi! Sorry it seems that this has slipped our mind... and currently we are not with many people at the office.

Is this still an issue for you? With a second glance over the previous questions, are you aware in which controller you are flying with? Is anywhere in your script where you activate the mellinger controller? (like

Code: Select all

activate_mellinger_controller
). If this is the case, try to comment that out to make the crazyflies fly on the default controller.
Leopardopt
Beginner

Re: Crazyflies random crash & related issues [SOLVED]

Post by Leopardopt »

Hello,

I think the crash has to do with the blocked sensors/basesations which can be my fault. I test them at home often so the sofa and other stuff might be blocking the sweeping angles while in flight. Thank you for your update.

Sincerely,

Leopardopt
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflies random crash & related issues [SOLVED]

Post by kimberly »

Alright! Thanks for the update. Also make sure that there are not many reflections in your environment as well.

Let us know if you have any more problems. Then just start a new thread :)