Positioning system

All discussions related to the Loco Positioning system
yuhsiang
Beginner

Positioning system

Post by yuhsiang »

Hi,

I would like to choose a positioning system to fly multiple Crazyflies. I am considering LPS, lighthouse system and Vicon motion capture system.
Could anyone please share your experience? What is the positioning accuracy of them?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Yu-Hsiang
whoenig
Expert

Re: Positioning system

Post by whoenig »

Hi,

* LPS: +/- 10cm; high jitter; Jitter can be reduced if you also add the flow deck (not yet quantified how accurate that combination becomes)
* Lighthouse: +/- 2cm; very low jitter; (roughly, we are still in the process of measuring this)
* Motion Capture: sub-millimeter; lowest jitter

LPS and Lighthouse give you direct access of the estimate on-board. A motion capture requires a host PC and the state estimate needs to be sent to the Quadrotor. So if you are working on fully distributed algorithms, LPS and Lighthouse are easier to use, since you don't have to have a central computer. A motion capture system is significantly more expensive and a bit more versatile (no special deck needed), but you'll need to use the Crazyswarm and ROS for operation of a swarm. For LPS and Lighthouse, you can also use the official Python library.

LPS works in larger spaces and outdoors. Motion capture work only indoors and the capture space depends on your budget. Lighthouse (currently) only works in relatively small spaces with 2 Basestations.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions,
Wolfgang