Base station detection using loco positioning system

All discussions related to the Loco Positioning system
amathuri
Beginner

Base station detection using loco positioning system

Post by amathuri »

Hi,
How does one implement a base station functionality with the LPS? Basically, is it possible to simply have one LPS node serving as the base station and giving signal to the deck on crazyfile to let it know where the drone is wrt. the node?

Is it possible with some other type of deck development on Crazyfile?

Best wishes,
Amrita
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Base station detection using loco positioning system

Post by kimberly »

We are not working on anything like that here. You need to be aware though that the lighthouse deck and LPS deck are not yet compatible (see here). You will need to adjust the LPS deck like in the picture:
20201202_094446.jpg
amathuri
Beginner

Post by amathuri »

Thank you for the reply. I must have mixed up the acronyms. Sorry!

Let me clarify my question. If I simply use one loco positioning deck on Crazyfile and one loco positioning node on the ground. Is it possible to find out the relative position of the Crazyfile wrt. the node on the ground? Would it allow someone to write an algorithm where Crazyfile can trace back to where it started from?
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

With one LPS anchor the only information that will be available is the distance to the anchor, but you would not know the direction. Essentially you would know that you are somewhere on a sphere around the anchor positions and this would not be enough to understand where you are.

You would need more information, you can for instance add more anchors, a flow deck or z-ranger deck. The combined data from the available sensors must contain enough information to establish the position.