Accuracy of Loco Positioning system

All discussions related to the Loco Positioning system
Calvin Chua

Accuracy of Loco Positioning system

Post by Calvin Chua »

Hi,

From the website, it mentioned the system will have an accuracy of 10cm. Is there any possible modifications such as location of the of the loco position node that able to increases its accuracy pls

Thanks and appreciate for any help
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Re: Accuracy of Loco Positioning system

Post by kristoffer »

The 10 cm is specified by Decawave, the manufacturer of the UWB chips we use. There is ongoing research in the area (for instance this paper https://arxiv.org/pdf/2003.09371.pdf) that might improve the performance, but there is no silver bullet as far as we know.

What performance do you get?
Calvin Chua

Post by Calvin Chua »

Hi kristoffer,

Thanks for the reply. The error range I get is around 10cm- 12cm ish but I might need to achieve higher accuracy for my project
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

I see. Would it be possible for you to use some other positioning technology with higher precision, like the Lighthouse?

Do you need higher precision in the full space or only in smaller areas (for precision landing for instance)? It might be possible to augment the position with local sensors?
Calvin Chua

Post by Calvin Chua »

I am thinking about that as well. For my project, I just need a high accuracy on a small volume of space. Hence, my guess is changing the position of the decks to make them cover a smaller space might increases the accuracy.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

If you mean moving the Anchors closer, that will unfortunately not help. The error is fairly constant regardless of distance.