Range Calibration considering orientation

All discussions related to the Loco Positioning system
jdiep
Beginner

Range Calibration considering orientation

Post by jdiep »

In my project, I am using 8 LPS anchors with one LPS tag attached to our drone (not a CF).

In a first step, I want to calibrate the entire system, which includes figuring out the range offset, tag positions as well as anchors positions by applying Gauss-Newton. However, I discovered, that the offsets and the anchor positions vary according to how many sample positions I take.

Furthermore, the range-measurements between an anchor and a tag depends on the orientation to each other, therefore I cannot find a common offset which works for all orientations (more like offset as a function to the orientation).

Therefore my question is:

Has there already been some study done regarding range measurements fluctuations as a function to the orientation of tag and anchor. This is important since depending on pitch, yaw and roll of my drone, the orientation of the attached tag changes.

Thank you for your help!
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Range Calibration considering orientation

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

from Bitcraze side this is not something we have investigated in detail yet, but we would be interested too if anyone had done some research to find out if calibrating for the orientation actually improves the positioning performance.