Powering LPS node with lipo?

All discussions related to the Loco Positioning system
theseankelly
Expert

Powering LPS node with lipo?

Post by theseankelly »

Hey, curious if anyone has successfully used 2s lipos (with a connector attached to the terminal on the node) to power the LPS nodes? Seems that would be the cheapest option for mobile power since those USB power sticks seem to be about $10 a piece. My only concern is about preventing over discharging of the lipo -- does the LPS node have a vbat sensing pin that could be set up to self-power down on low bat voltage?

Other battery chemistries should be fine too, but I figure I could also use 2s Lipos on a nano brushless quadcopter someday... :D
http://www.thejumperwire.com
Tips, tutorials, and science about DIY electronics, drones, and embedded software.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Powering LPS node with lipo?

Post by arnaud »

The power input port on the node has been designed to accept regulated power from another system. 2S battery will work but there is not voltage sensing in the node and no code to handle it.

If you want to patch one yourself it might be a bit hard since I do not see any pin on the expansion headers that are also analog (feel free to double check with the schematic and the stm32f072 datasheet ...). The LED1 and LED2 are on analog pin so they are candidate for a patch otherwise you need to take the analog pin directly on the MCU.

I guess the best would be to have a protection circuit on your 2S batteries.
Federico Rossi
Beginner

Post by Federico Rossi »

Hi Arnaud,

We acquired the swarm bundle recently. Re the batteries for powering the LPS anchors: is there any recommendation on make and model that you could provide? Should we use LiPo batteries, or is it possible for example to use a battery pack like the ones we use for charging our cellphones?

Thanks,

Federico.-
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Yes battery pack for charging the cellphones works well.
Federico Rossi
Beginner

Post by Federico Rossi »

Hi Arnaud, thanks for the information. Sorry for my late reply.