Hello from Texas!

Wan't to discuss something that's relevant but has no forum, this is the place
hittstick
Beginner

Re: Hello from Texas!

Post by hittstick »

Thanks a ton for the tips! I've got the crazyflie up and running, and just (literally) procured a ps3 controller so I'm working on getting that set up. For the record I've been using Linux for about 2 years as my main OS on my school laptop, as well as my Raspberry Pi 3b. I followed the instructions for a working development environment in Jessie to get the client going on my Pi, but haven't gotten a chance to test the client with the CrazyFlie just yet, only the app.

I'm looking forward to seeing the information you talked about posting, you should pm me when you do.

I've been spending a lot of time reading and still have much learning ahead of me, but am still enthusiastic about it and appreciative of how helpful the community is.

Now to scour the documentation/forums for info on getting this controller up and running.
hittstick
Beginner

Post by hittstick »

So many things have happened. Ubuntu Mate on the rpi3 decided to stop booting all of a sudden, so I pulled all of my necessary files off of the sd card and am now using Raspbian (which is a pain trying to get ROS set up on). The ps3 controller seems to work better now, however, and I feel like I'm getting a lot more comfortable with flying.

I did manage to completely destroy the on/off button, and have ordered some replacements which should be in this week. I've looked around the forum and found the blog post about fixing the switch on the CF 1.0, but am still nervous about it considering I'm such a novice at soldering. Any tips before I attempt this would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime I've been looking into tuning the CF 2.0, as well as poking around for better battery options, as well as FPV camera options, although I think the camera will have to wait since I can't find a kit for less than $100.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Did you have a look at the guide found in this post?

As you likely only have one soldering iron heat up the solder on each side shortly then switch to the other, back and forth, until the button comes loose. Clean the pads with solder wick (if you have) before you solder the new button back on.
hittstick
Beginner

Post by hittstick »

Yes, @tobias, I read that post, it didn't make me feel less nervous about it :oops: I'll pick up some solder wick and flux before I attempt the fix.
H0stname

Post by H0stname »

Great to hear you use linux full-time already! You're ahead. I had for many years but only casually through vm or secondary dual boot, thus not gaining the same understanding.

For soldering: after you do one side, be sure to let it cool. Use minimal heat necessary to melt solder. I broke my m1 LED. First there wasn't enough solder so it broke loose prompting me to want to fix it, then I think I burnt it to the point of not working trying to solder it. Which is unusual because I have soldered iphones before just fine. A switch will hopefully be more heat resistant, but I thought LEDs were too. If you are hesitant about your soldering skills, get some practice on something less precious, use flux (though I skimp on it now), get quality equipment to do it. Look up youtube vids too. My xtronic 4000 hot air rework station was $140 6 years ago now but it probably saved me a few parts that my Horrible Freight tools soldering iron or my other off-brand one would have broken. Buy once cry once. Just less headaches too.

Good luck on the pi, that architecture seems to throw monkey wrenches into my plans regularly. But with that small form factor will be a really neat, modular, open-source friendly platform when you're done. I'm sticking with my bulky workstation laptop for now :lol:

Edit: oops. regarding FPV, I have poked around a bit and got a crappy $25 camera to play with that weighs 6ish grams. Too heavy to run inductive charging coil with. Also had to mount my battery on the bottom as it was too top heavy even when it could get off the ground. Until I can afford to drop $100+ on a lightweight, high performance camera (which is disposable $100 compared to dropping $100 on good soldering equipment btw) which will be this summer, I am stuck. having 6 g of its ~15 g payload capacity for the camera is more detrimental to performance than I'd like.

Also plan to look into big quad deck so I can just put more battery and bigger motors at the expense of having to fly outdoors. Love the modularity of this thing.
hittstick
Beginner

Post by hittstick »

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I'm in the same boat with the camera, in the meantime I'm just practicing flying a couple of times a day and perusing the forums. I've looked into some stronger batteries, but am hesitant to purchase because there isn't a lot of info from others about that. Maybe I'll just get a couple and try them out. I just finished my last final of the semester, so I should have some more time for tinkering in the next few weeks before summer starts.

Have you played around with tuning the CF at all? If so what settings do you use?
H0stname

Post by H0stname »

Have looked into stronger batteries, but not purchased anything because I'd like my 'optimal' crazyflie to use the inductive charger for autonomous charging and just convenience, and switching out the battery leaves one going to waste. Might buy a stronger one once this one wears out. There was this cool thing to change batteries during flight, but not (yet) integrated into a crazyflie:
http://hackaday.com/2016/11/30/where-is ... ighthouse/

I have tried playing with the CFClient advanced flight control settings, I usually keep them default, but sometimes adjust the angle/rates or max thrust to be lower if someone new is trying the drone, or I am using a mini controller (with less usable range of motion on the thumbsticks/triggers). Haven't played with the SlewLimit or thrust lowering slewrate and managed better than the default.

I remap the thrust to the right trigger, but keep the rest the same. I am used to similar layout from flying helicopters in video games in the past, so changing thrust from right thumbstick y-axis to right trigger is intuitive to me and I get to put some of that XP to good use!

Any suggestions?
hittstick
Beginner

Post by hittstick »

Not as of yet, this is my first quadrotor and I've been trying to learn more about them in general, and the idea of tuning the PID values keeps popping up, A lot of folks are saying it's best to jump right into acro mode to really learn how to fly, but I've been trying to take it slow. Even the power button incident didn't result from something crazy, the flie just bonked into the kitchen door and I guess the door knob hit the PCB.

I have since added a prop guard which seems to sacrifice agility for stability, but now auto hover struggles to keep the flie in the air. I'm going to learn more and post when I end up making adjustments.
bjorn
Bitcraze

Post by bjorn »

Hi @hittstick and @H0stname,

I think the feedback regarding our documentation is very interesting but I would like to know more. What was the first thing you did when receiving your Crazyflie? Were did you start to get information (web, wiki, forum)?

//Björn at Bitcraze
hittstick
Beginner

Post by hittstick »

bjorn wrote:Hi @hittstick and @H0stname,

I think the feedback regarding our documentation is very interesting but I would like to know more. What was the first thing you did when receiving your Crazyflie? Were did you start to get information (web, wiki, forum)?

//Björn at Bitcraze
Howdy @bjorn,
The first place I went after receiving the Crazyflie was the webpage and the "getting started" materials. After reading through all of those pages I came to the forum first and then the wiki, but I check the forum more often than I go to the wiki.