Which PS3 controller to get

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
clef
Beginner

Which PS3 controller to get

Post by clef »

Hi guys.. my kit is on its way, so I better get myself a compatible controller (I don't have a PS3 already).

The wiki says it can be a non-genuine copy .. but looking around on ebay, I'm not convinced that the USB cable in the copies actually functions as a controller signal path.. maybe they're just charging cables? Any experience with this, or will I need to purchase a genuine one? (twice the price)
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Which PS3 controller to get

Post by tobias »

We are actually as of this weekend trying to compile a list of tested controllers that work. http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyf ... putdevices
Yesterday we tested with XBOX 360 controller, which was pretty simple, and we have also tested Wii controller, but that was difficult to get working drivers for.

Normally any controller with 2 analog sticks (4 analog inputs) that are compatible with the host operating system should work. It might involve having to map it in the cf-client program, and if there are no bugs in the cf-client it should be pretty simple. If you already have a PC compatible joystick/gamepad you can try with that first.

It is actually not that simple to get the PS3 controller working in Windows 7, so if you are running that it might be better to get another controller known to be compatible with Windows 7. Otherwise a PS3 controller copy should work a well as a genuine one.
jtang613
Beginner

Post by jtang613 »

I'm successfully using a Logitech F310 (XBox 360 compatible) controller. Had to adjust the mappings, but otherwise good to go.

It's wired - USB and detected by Fedora 18 out-of-the-box. Cost about $30 (CAN).
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

I can recommend the PS3 DS3 sixaxis Controller over Bluetooth because i have just found out that it is possible to control the CF (Client) with the motion Sensors of the DS3 sixaxis Controller :lol: *thumbs up*
Just move the DS3 Controller at device mapping.
Can not wait to try this out :D but have to wait for the german customs (ZOLL) :cry:
danielsamuels
Beginner

Post by danielsamuels »

Not a PS3 controller, but I bought one of these yesterday and it works fantastically well.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

I have a wired PS3 clone and it's working out of the box using the PS3 mappings. But I still prefer the original PS3 controller over the clone and xbox 360 controllers, but I think it's a matter of getting used to it. I've been using the PS3 controller for a couple of years now for flying so it's hard to get used to something else :)
skube

Post by skube »

Is it possible to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller?
Crazyflie Nano 10-DOF | AR Drone v1 | MikroKopter Okto
atomicdog
Expert

Post by atomicdog »

skube wrote:Is it possible to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller?
Yes, but you need a wireless receiver like this.
6-DOF CF | wireless xbox 360 controller
Ksecrist
Beginner

Post by Ksecrist »

I bebe the ps3 controller working on win7 - however only the left and right pads work... Is that normal? Seems like that restricts thrust to Off - medium - high? I would prefer to get the thumb controllers working to give much more fine grain control - is this possible?

Thanks, -K
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Have a look at these instructions by Patrick for configuring the PS3 controller with MotionJoy.

/Marcus