Who has it already? :)

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
DerShu
Beginner

Re: Who has it already? :)

Post by DerShu »

I got mine this week too!!! :D

It works great using the Windows client in the BitCraze VM on my Win7 64bit desktop machine, but that machine is in a room not much bigger than a closet so I am afraid to let the CrazyFlie actually take off. I have been trying to get the Windows client to work on an old XP laptop but for some reason MotionInJoy is giving me nothing but problems with the PS3 controller for several days. The laptop is too old and slow to run the VM, so I have to get it working in native XP. I finally decided to dedicate the old laptop to be a CrazyFlie base station, so I reformatted the drive and reinstalled Win XP. I hope that nothing else can interfere with getting the PS3 controller talking to the CrazyFlie. :evil:
csholmq
Beginner

Post by csholmq »

junoon53 wrote:I got mine yesterday!

I've assembled it, but I don't have a controller. Tried using the android app on my Nexus 4, but it doesn't support OTG :(

I guess I'll have to buy a controller now.
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-a ... tg-nexus-4
Shuzz
Beginner

Post by Shuzz »

Got mine for christmas (10DOF model) and hooked up an old PS2 Controller through some cheap converter box I bought off eBay years and years ago.
Works like a charm - at last. ;)
I had to fiddle around very much until I realized why the software would let me configure the joypad just fine but not let me use it for flying (no reaction).
Turns out the converter box registers two devices that have the same name. The device IDs are certainly different, but the name string "Twin USB Joystick" is the same for both devices.
This somehow makes cfclient wait for input from the second device by that name, always. Why it's the second, I don't know. I'm not a python guy... ;)
Interestingly, though, the mapping configuration window works fine with the joypad in either port, i.e. with either Windows-Device.

Plugging the joypad to the other port of the converter solved the problem for me, but it took me a while to figure that one out... :D

Other than that, I'm lovin' it! After very much reducing max yaw rate in cfclient advanced mode even I can handle the CF and zip around without (almost) any bad crashes. ;)
Hover mode helps, too... :D
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Shuzz wrote:Got mine for christmas (10DOF model) and hooked up an old PS2 Controller through some cheap converter box I bought off eBay years and years ago.
Works like a charm - at last. ;)
I had to fiddle around very much until I realized why the software would let me configure the joypad just fine but not let me use it for flying (no reaction).
Turns out the converter box registers two devices that have the same name. The device IDs are certainly different, but the name string "Twin USB Joystick" is the same for both devices.
This somehow makes cfclient wait for input from the second device by that name, always. Why it's the second, I don't know. I'm not a python guy... ;)
Interestingly, though, the mapping configuration window works fine with the joypad in either port, i.e. with either Windows-Device.

Plugging the joypad to the other port of the converter solved the problem for me, but it took me a while to figure that one out... :D

Other than that, I'm lovin' it! After very much reducing max yaw rate in cfclient advanced mode even I can handle the CF and zip around without (almost) any bad crashes. ;)
Hover mode helps, too... :D
We didn't think about this case when implementing the input support :( I've added an a new issue for this. The way it's implemented now you can only open the last found device for every name.
TheKaneB
Beginner

Post by TheKaneB »

Hi everyone!

I've just bought one (10 DOF version) off ebay, and I'm wondering what to do with the toy :D

Since I'm a professional Android developer, I *could* help with the Android client, but I don't particularly like working on Android in my spare time, expecially after 8-10 hours of Android coding at work.
What I'd like to experiment with is the firmware, such as trying new stabilization algorithms, improving the hovering mode and general hacking.

Maybe, after bashing my head into the desk with the firmware, I could go back to what I know very well, and help on the client side of things, but... hey, it's my new toy, right? I'm gonna play and have fun at least :)

PS: err... please, excuse the crudity of my english, it's not my first language nor the second, so please forgive my mistakes!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Great to hear that you want to play around with the Crazyflie, that is what it is meant for :-).
ahuber1
Beginner

Post by ahuber1 »

Hi,

got mine between Christmas and New Year.
My Cat don't let me fly to much but i implement a Java lib to control it.
I started with the Android client as basis, and have now a working lib including Parameters read/write and Log settings.
I'm also able to fly with my GUI client and a Logitech Wingman RumblePad :D.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Awesome ahuber1! Please share!
ahuber1
Beginner

Post by ahuber1 »

Hi Tobias,

i'm already try to prepare sharing on Bitbucket.
Is it a problem for you when the Java Package is "se.bitcraze.crazyflie" ?
Under what License you are develop the Android client?

Regards,

Andreas
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

Hi Andreas,

Looking forward to seeing your Java lib and GUI client.
I'm currently in the process of separating the Android client from the lib and also played around with a pure Java USB layer.

I don't think there should be any problem with naming the Java Package "se.bitcraze.crazyflie", but we should think
about a good package name for the lib when it is shared between the Java and Android client.
In the Android client it's currently called "se.bitcraze.crazyflielib".
Maybe the lib should also be a separate Bitbucket repository?

The Android client is using GPL as license.

Regards,

Fred