Six motor mod?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
calebjc
Beginner

Six motor mod?

Post by calebjc »

I'm wondering if one could add two more motors and your systems would work? I want to make a very experimental copter for zero gravity environments that have breathable atmosphere (think the inside the ISS). I can build the frame. The motors would only need to spin slowly, or not at all - binary control, but I need to be able to have a motor on six equidistant points of a sphere, so one could navigate in zero-g with the equivalent of little bursts of air for slight pushes.

Or if anyone knows of very good reversible ducted fan jets that work with an open source system like this, that might be another way. Thanks for your indulgence for this wacky idea...
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Six motor mod?

Post by tobias »

Sounds like a really cool project!

There is no simple way to make it control 6 motors as there are only motor drivers for 4. Do the the drivers need to be bi-directional because the current drivers are only uni-directional? It is possible to make an extension board with 2 additional motor drivers or 6 new bi-directional but it would mean a lot of work and I think there are more suitable platforms out there.

Good luck with your project!
TheFrog4u
Expert

Post by TheFrog4u »

Wow, that sounds realy intressing. For what is it used for and how you gonna test this? Under water? You already metioned the ISS.. its the only place I can think of which has the discribed conditions.
Mitteau
Expert

Post by Mitteau »

Hello everybody
Really interesting subject. With a quadricopter, the failure of one motor looks very difficult to compensate. With six motors this looks easier.
The problem of the quadricopter is the reliability. If you install a 500 € camera, this needs some reliability conditions.
Regards
Jean-Claude