Bare PCB / PCB data?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
Simon
Beginner

Bare PCB / PCB data?

Post by Simon »

Hi,

Since the Crazyflie is completely sold out and probably will be for quite some time I wondered if it is possible to either
- buy bare PCBs
- download gerber files or even
- download Kicad files for the PCB.

If so, we poor guys who were too late to discover this cool thing, could just build one on our own! :-)

I know that this is the last bit of "production secret" of yours, so probably you won't like to give it away, but I was thinking that to ask doesn't cost anything. :-)

BTW: Is there a preliminary schedule for next batches?

Best regards
Simon
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: Bare PCB / PCB data?

Post by marcus »

Hi Simon,

During the manufacturing of the pre-orders we are making some extra units. These units should be available in the Seeedstudio webshop for immediate shipping some time during the later part of May (no guarantee but this is the current plan). Unfortunately we don't have any bare PCBs either.

Once the first pre-orders have shipped we will share the complete KiCad project and our component library. This was our main reason for using KiCad, so others could view/modify the project without needing access to costly software. But speaking from experience it's a lot easier getting a kit than ordering all the separate parts :)

BR,
Marcus
Simon
Beginner

Post by Simon »

marcus wrote:But speaking from experience it's a lot easier getting a kit than ordering all the separate parts
I bet so! :-) I certainly would prefer to buy a complete kit! Thank you for the info! I placed a "notify me" flag at Seeedstudio. Maybe I'm lucky...

BTW: concerning the 2.4GHz antenna, is the layer stack of the PCB very important? Did you put big effort in matching the antenna based on measurements on the real hardware (using these incredibly expensive tools for HF measurement), which should be supposed to change if the buildup of the PCB is a bit different?

Greets
Simon
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Hi Simon,

I don't think there will be a problem to get one when normal orders open, if you have subscribed to the notification.

The layer stackup is a standard 4 layer one so nothing fancy there. We have not had access to these incredibly expensive RF equipment. Instead we have carefully followed Nordic Semiconductor design guide lines and used tools such as the RF-explorer which has turned out to work pretty well.

Cheers,
Tobias
demir
Beginner

Post by demir »

@Marcus: I think you guys are being really generous by giving out complete info about the project. On top of that using KiCad is a really great help. If someone uses these PCB designs and modifies it and produces in a large quantity and sells them in market for cheaper prices than that of yours, what would be your reaction then? I was looking at the video and I think it’s a really great tool and the fact that it could carry some weight, isn't that bad either.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

@demir
We really wanted to create an open platform where users can play around, hack and learn about embedded systems and quadcopters. We also wanted to create a community around it so that people who use it can get help, ideas and inspiration to do their own modifications and projects with the Crazyflie as a base. The only way we felt this could happen was by being open and sharing information about the project. That doesn't only include technical information, we also wanted to share what's happening on a more general basis though our blog (posting something every week). We also felt that an important part was to use tools that are available to everyone, like KiCad.

The project-files and layout are licensed CC-BY-SA-NC so it's not authorized to generate the production files and manufacture it for commercial use. We feel that this license is a good half way. We want users to be able to use the platform and all the information to the full extent, without it being possible to just press the generate button and profit from something that someone else has put time and money into, without contributing anything.

If this happens we are hoping that people that use the Crazyflie will appreciate the work that we have put in and the community that we have built (together with all the users and supporters) and still choose our product instead of a copy made by someone else. The community has been a great support to us, contributing with documentation, user support, code and financial support though buying the Crazyflie and spare parts. The money we make from the Crazyflie goes into support, server up-keep and development so that the platform continues to evolve.