Motor connector

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
Antoine
Beginner

Motor connector

Post by Antoine »

Hi,

This is the second time I break a motor on my crazyflie, and I'm starting to worry about damaging the PCB and components by soldering them. Has anyone found a solution to avoid that, like a tiny connector or screw terminal?

Thanks,

Antoine

Edit: found this thread: http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=339 which answer my question. I'm open if somebody have a better solution.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Motor connector

Post by tobias »

Is it because of a depressed bearing? That might be solvable like in this video. The new motors also have a better bearing design to avoid this.

I have tested to re-solder several times without the pads being damaged but that might require a good temperature controlled soldering iron. I set the soldering iron to ~380 deg C and put on some new solder (leaded with flux) on the tip before I heat up a pad. Heat it up from the top and pull out the wire from the bottom side. Do the same when inserting the new one. Hope it helps!
Antoine
Beginner

Post by Antoine »

The first time the motor was damaged after a crash (but without any external sign), it required a high level of thrust to start and the fly was not stable. The second time the motor was also damaged after a crash, but this time it was the bottom of the motor (black plastic part) which was damaged by the rotor (because of a collision of the propeller I guess). Picture:
IMG_20131121_231312.jpg
This time, the motor appeared to work fine but the fly was not stable and the Crazyflie was drifting...

I ordered 5 motors from here. Is it the fixed one?

Thanks for your advice for the soldering, I'll try to follow them :-).
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I ordered 5 motors from here. Is it the fixed one?
Yes that should be the new motor (part nr: BC-CM-01-B).