Hover mode Status

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
GUYb
Beginner

Hover mode Status

Post by GUYb »

what is the best firmware to CF , to be in hover mode?
(i mean that the quadcopter will stay at a fixed point the air)

i'm asking it because i didn't found it on the forum...

regards,

guy
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Hover mode Status

Post by tobias »

Try this. Works pretty well but improvements can probably still be done.
GUYb
Beginner

Post by GUYb »

first of all thanks,

i tried it and it works fine at staying at the same height.(Z axis)

although it had some dragging around the x-y .
after using a scale, i understand that the gyro have +2 degree error.

my questions are:

1)is it only my crazy had that dragging in the x-y ,while being in hover mode? or your's also behave like that.?
2) is the error of the gyro are affecting the dragging?
3) i thought to use a vision at fixed-point to PID to fight with dragging at the x-y error, do you think this is a good approach?

thanks a lot!

guy
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Keeping it stable in x-y is to me not possible without some other sensor that could compensate for the drifting. Even though the gyro and accelerometer where perfectly calibrated a little movement of the air would move it around. An external positioning system is one solution or perhaps optical flow.
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

tobias wrote:Keeping it stable in x-y is to me not possible without some other sensor that could compensate for the drifting. Even though the gyro and accelerometer where perfectly calibrated a little movement of the air would move it around. An external positioning system is one solution or perhaps optical flow.
So its always going to drift in the x-y plane unless you have some absolute reference. Either externally (look at the kinect stuff) or some on board vision system. Im working on the latter but am having serious difficulties with the low quality of the tiny cameras. Lens distortion is pretty bad and reprojection errors are through the roof...I hope to figure this out by the end of the year :)