Crazyflie 2.1 is not able to take off

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
computerpolice
Beginner

Crazyflie 2.1 is not able to take off

Post by computerpolice »

Hello! As the title describes, I'm not able to fly my crazyflie 2.1. This is mainly because one of the propellers (M3) is slow to start than the rest of the propellers. This causes the drone to rotate around the M3 propeller. I recorded the issue in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sldY38y4aIA

I'm following the normal flight guide https://www.bitcraze.io/documentation/t ... mal-flight where I control the crazyflie using the app with full thrust while not touching other controllers.

This is what I tried to do to fix/troubleshoot the problem thus far:
1- Check that the propellers are assembles according to the documentation (and they are assembled correctly).
2- Blow on each propeller individually to confirm that they spin in the correct direction. I did notice that M3's propeller doesn't spin as easy as the other propellers.
3- Loosen the M3 propeller from the motor holder. This didn't help much.
4- Replace the propeller on M3 arm with a different B1 propeller, same problem kept happening.
5- Balance the weight of the battery connector. According to the CF client, my drone is tilted slightly to the direction of M3.

I ran out of ideas of how to troubleshoot this problem. Should I replace the motor? Has anyone been faced with this similar problem?

Here are images of my drone (above and under) and CF client screenshot: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
wydmynd

Re: Crazyflie 2.1 is not able to take off

Post by wydmynd »

I am not from bitcraze but recommend running the propeller test (button in console tab) and posting results
computerpolice
Beginner

Post by computerpolice »

Hello! Thank you for the suggestion! I ran the propellers test twice to make sure that the results are right.

Edit: I'm not sure what to make of these results.
Attachments
Second Test
Second Test
First Test
First Test
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Hi!

Yes as wydmynd recommended, it is always handy to have a console tab so thanks for that! For in the future, also mention which decks you are attaching to the crazyflie as well! But luckily there was a picture.

So in the console tab, you see the following:

Code: Select all

DECK_CORE: 0 decks found
This should state that it found 1 deck if you attached one. But... looking at your picture it can be seen that the flowdeck is attached the wrong way around that you can see with the symbols I've marked here
flowdeck_upsidedown.PNG
Here are some instructions to attach the flowdeck properly:
Getting started guide with STEM bundle
Getting started with expansion decks
computerpolice
Beginner

Post by computerpolice »

Hello Kimberly! thank you for the reply and for informing that the flow deck is mounted in the wrong direction.

But my issue was with flying the crazyflie 2.1 manually using the crazyflie iOS app. I ran the propellers test again today and looks like there is something off with M4 motor.

My question now is, how can I make sense of the propellers test results? does this mean I have to replace M4 motor?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 11.56.55 AM.png
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Ah oke!

If the very first video was shot when you were giving full thrust through the app, that is indeed not what you are supposed to see. I find it quite difficult to control the drone through the app but at least it should do a hop in the air. Do you have a controller so you can try it from the cfclient directly?

Also in the video seems to be spinning around the m3 motor, but now the m4 is reporting to have problems. If indeed the propeller balancing didn't work or replacing it with a new one, then the next logical step is to replace the motor. But I'm not really convinced that is the full problem, but it never hurts to try!

Have you tried to look at the IMU readings in the cfclient as well to see if that is nice and level if you startup the crazyflie on a flat surface?