Gampad for Crazyflie

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
maxmart
Beginner

Gampad for Crazyflie

Post by maxmart »

Hi,

I would like to ask what is currently the best gamepad controller to fly the Crazyflie using Windows laptop? I have tried the PS4 controller (wired/wireless) and so far it is able to control the Crazyflie well. Recently, I purchased the Logitech F310 (wired) to see if this has the same feel when flying as compared to the PS4, but it does not. So far, it feels stiff and less sensitive to little stick movement as compared to the PS4 controller. Are there other cheaper alternative to this? I have heard/read that Xbox 360 wired controller/PS3 controllers are good to use, but they may be hard to come by nowadays. Appreciate the help!

Thank you!
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Gampad for Crazyflie

Post by arnaud »

For me the best gamepad to fly Crazyflie manually will always be the PS3 gamepad, however it is now getting very old, is hard to find and not easy to interface with a PC wirelessly. The main reason is that the PS3 joystick have a quite long course which allows for more precision mainly with the thrust control.

Nowadays, I have been using PS4, Xbox one and 8Bitdo gamepads. They are not as good as the PS3 Gamepad but they are pretty equal. I always keep an 8BitDo SN30 Pro (+) with me because of its versatility: it has 4 independent bluetooth/USB mode which means that I can have it paired to my phone in one mode and my laptop in another mode so that I can choose where to connect at power-ON. All these mode are also very useful to test the client for different gamepad types.

We have bought one Logitech gamepad once (I think it was the F310) and the joysticks where very bad.
maxmart
Beginner

Re: Gampad for Crazyflie

Post by maxmart »

Hi!

I will be testing out the 8BitDo controller that you have mentioned now that I have purchased one. So far, it seems to have the same feel with the PS4 controller and is indeed better than the Logitech F310. Thank you for the advice!