Monitoring parameters in real time

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
mhnatiuk
Beginner

Monitoring parameters in real time

Post by mhnatiuk »

Hi everybody,
I just received my 2nd Crazyflie 10, the last one got lost in the woods, poor guy. Thing is, I tried to control it via keyboard, because I was too lazy to buy PS3 controller, however I have it now. I am experimenting with flying, it's a lot of fun. Nevertheless, what I really want is to understand how the copter operates. I was able to build a python script to receive data from quadrocopter, but the update rate of the callbacks was too slow. What I want to do, is to capture flight data into csv file. I want to have all the variables possible (input from stabilizer, accelerometer, battery and, in the future, data about pressure and from magnetometer) and besides that, I want to have a timestamp. Is it possible to gather this kind of data in shorter time period? And how to access crazyflie's clock from python API?
Best,
Mikołaj Hnatiuk
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Monitoring parameters in real time

Post by tobias »

If you want a lot of data fast the logging framework might not be suitable and it would be better to implement a new logging type that packs as much as possible into a radio packet (31 bytes) as possible. That would permit to send up to 1000 data packets/s but would require some development work. We used this in the beginning to read data and we called it multilog. I have attached the c-file we used. The radio API might have changed so it might not work right out of the box but you would get the idea. It is just a task that periodical sends out data on one of the ports. The client would have to be adjusted to receive it as well so there are some work involved.

The other alternative is to use the logging framework, (c-code), and to maybe alter that to suite your needs.