Is one battery enough for BigQuad?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
Allen
Beginner

Re: Is one battery enough for BigQuad?

Post by Allen »

tobias wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:23 am You don't have to use ESCs with a built in BEC but I suggest you to do so since it will lead to some complications.
1. If the CF battery runs out
2. You have to handle and charge two batteries
3. The BigQuad deck requires power (from a 5V pin) to the pull-up resistors on the motor signal lines to function correctly. This could be changed by switching all of the CF motor outputs to push-pull instead of open-drain though. This should be done for all BigQuad outputs:

Code: Select all

const MotorPerifDef* motorMapBigQuadDeck[NBR_OF_MOTORS] =
{
  &DECK_TX2_TIM2,
  &DECK_IO3,
  &DECK_IO2,
  &DECK_RX2_TIM2
};
When I assembled the uav to test whether it could be controlled by remote control, I found that the motor turned very, very fast, which seemed abnormal. I would like to know, before running the brushless motor, what modifications should I make in the program?Where to modify?Like the PWM Settings in the program?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

For the ESC configuration, we are planning to implement ESC pass-through in the Crazyflie firmware but this is not done yet so you need to use another firmware in the Crazyflie to have this functionality.

As for the motors, i am not sure what could be happening. How did you setup your Crazyflie, is it a Crazyflie 2.1, is it running stock fimrware and what kind of motor are you running, the stock brushed one?
Allen
Beginner

Post by Allen »

arnaud wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:58 am For the ESC configuration, we are planning to implement ESC pass-through in the Crazyflie firmware but this is not done yet so you need to use another firmware in the Crazyflie to have this functionality.

As for the motors, i am not sure what could be happening. How did you setup your Crazyflie, is it a Crazyflie 2.1, is it running stock fimrware and what kind of motor are you running, the stock brushed one?
I used the flywoo 2306.5,and a 4 in 1 ESC,
I just used the code in crazyflie firmware,I would like to know if I use brushless motor and BigQuad, do I need to change the PWM parameters in the code?Where can i change them ?
Are there any other changes to be made?
I'm afraid I'll forget something that needs to be changed and cause damage to the motor
Allen
Beginner

Post by Allen »

arnaud wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:58 am For the ESC configuration, we are planning to implement ESC pass-through in the Crazyflie firmware but this is not done yet so you need to use another firmware in the Crazyflie to have this functionality.

I also want to know what information is contained in the output signal of Bigquad?
Thank you very much!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

The default is that the BigQuad deck will output 400Hz PWM which should work with most ESC. How did you end up powering the BigQuad deck?
Allen
Beginner

Post by Allen »

tobias wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:15 pm The default is that the BigQuad deck will output 400Hz PWM which should work with most ESC. How did you end up powering the BigQuad deck?
I followed the power connection on the wiki,and the ESC I use has a 5V output,So I connected the 5V to the voltage input on the BigQuad.
There should be no problem with the power supply of this big drone.

You mean that BigQuad outputs PWM, so can I change its frequency by modifying the code?Or is its value determined by the hardware?
Allen
Beginner

Post by Allen »

tobias wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:15 pm The default is that the BigQuad deck will output 400Hz PWM which should work with most ESC. How did you end up powering the BigQuad deck?
By the way, can I use Betafight's firmware in Crazyflie?

Thank you!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Betaflight runs on Crazyflie 2.0 but the Crazyflie 2.1 has a BMI088 IMU which is not supported by betaflight yet. It might be possible to get it to run though, to use ESC pass though but probably requires changing the config so betaflight boots.

This blog post might be to some help even though it is for the Bolt. The BigQuad is very similar though.

In motors.h you can switch motor signal protocol to e.g. OneShot125 by uncommenting the define. Maybe OneShot125 works better?
canzop
Beginner

Post by canzop »

I used Crazyflie to design a large drone using brushless motors,now I need to change some of the settings for the ESCs,but I have to go through the flight control panel to set the settings again
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Currently to get persistent settings they have to be changed in the code, built and flashed to the Crazyflie :oops:. Hopefully we will have a persistent parameter system ready during the Q4 to ease this process. pid.h is probably one of the files you need to change.