USB Controller

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
kmedwards1
Beginner

USB Controller

Post by kmedwards1 »

The wiki says that "currently only PlayStation 3 compatible input devices are well supported." Will a Logitech USB controller work to control the quads?
Thanks,
Mark
Hogosha
Beginner

Re: USB Controller

Post by Hogosha »

I tried a XBox 360 Wireless Controller and that worked for me in the PC Software.
It only seems to be important that the controller is recognized in the system as a usual controller and that it
has the necessery joysticks and trigger-buttons.
My X-Box controller has one analog joystick on the left to pitch and roll and another one,
where i only use one axis of the joystick to yaw.
And the controller has two trigger-buttons and I use one of them for throttle.
The calibration in the software worked, so i think the controller will work then :)
kmedwards1
Beginner

Post by kmedwards1 »

Thanks! I already have a 360 controller that I can try out.
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

Hi,
i use a Freeware driver called MotioninJoy (Win32/64) for my PS3 Controller. It is detected by the Crazyflie PC Client and all axis and buttons working fine with the default PS3_Mode_1 or PS3_Mode_2 configuration.
Only the Input Device Configuration Menü of the Crazyflie PC Client doesn't work so well (the right Stick doesn't work after the configuration). Can not find the reason until now.
The MotioninJoy driver is working for PS1, PS2, PS3 and Xbox Controllers. And the best wireless (BT) as well :D .

Question: Can someone with a Crazyflie :lol: , give a feedback about the latency or delay (with an Bluetooth connected PS3 Controller)?

LINK: http://www.motioninjoy.com/download
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Great that you are helping each other out! The CF Client is still under development so there might be some bugs, especially with the joystick configuration. We are working on catching those bugs.

I have not experienced any "lag" when using the PS3 controller in BT mode. What might be a problem though is that you walk away and suddenly realize you lost BT connection when the Crazyflie dops to the floor (it has a fail-"safe" mode).

We have also tested flying it with a Wii controller and the Nunchuck accelerometer. It needs some tuning though but it is a lot of fun.
nick13bat
Beginner

Post by nick13bat »

I am very interested in picking up a crazyflie but would like to control it from my r/c 2.4ghz radio. Has anyone fooled with this yet? How would I go about setting this up? This would be my first quadcopter project period so idk maybe im in over my head on this? anyone's thoughts?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

The crazyflie can support E-Sky 2.4GHz R/C radio, some early code has already been tested for that. To be air-compatible with Crazyflie an RC transmitter has to contains the right radio chip (nRF24L01 compatible) which the E-sky do.

For other RC transmiter the Crazyradio dongle can accept PPM signal and be powered from the transmiter. Though this is not implemented yet.
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

Hi,
for people who wants to use the PS3 Controller over bluetooth with Ubuntu.
I found a Video instruction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2yKiMxisM0

Worked for me with crazyflie-pc-client in VM with BT dongle. :D
jerg
Beginner

Post by jerg »

Hi there,

just wanted to share a working PS3 CLONE:

Hama "Scorpad" (this is a bluetooth controller) (https://de.hama.com/portal/articleId*156948/action*2563)

What' super nice: works out of the box without motioninjoy because it's directly PC-compatible!

got it for 23€ @Amazon. Pretty nice deal i think.

regards,
Jerg
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

Welcome to the Bitcraze Forum Jerg!
jerg wrote:Hi there,

just wanted to share a working PS3 CLONE:

Hama "Scorpad" (this is a bluetooth controller) (https://de.hama.com/portal/articleId*156948/action*2563)

What' super nice: works out of the box without motioninjoy because it's directly PC-compatible!

got it for 23€ @Amazon. Pretty nice deal i think.

regards,
Jerg
I have the same, and yes it is working without motioninjoy, but it is not a bluetooth controller. You have to use the supplied radio (2.4GHz) dongle e.g. with a org. PS3 controller you can pair it (via bluetooth) to your smartphone and fly with the CF android app wireless and without a controller dongle.