Tethered flight

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
kender
Beginner

Tethered flight

Post by kender »

Folks,

If I tether the Crazyflie with a single tether at the middle of the PCB. Then command some thrust (from a Python script). Will it float up and hover stably at the end of the tether?

I’ve tried something like that but it rolls over immediately. Checked the motor wiring and propeller CW/CCW, but haven’t found errors. (Will check again in the morning.)

- Nick
absoloodle37

Re: Tethered flight

Post by absoloodle37 »

This video might provide some insight:

http://youtu.be/gIdc3BZU2DE

Might be motivating, if nothing else...
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi Nick,

No, that will probably not work. When it reaches the end of the tether I think that it will go a bit crazy (more crazy than it should.. :) ).

/Marcus
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

marcus wrote:Hi Nick,

No, that will probably not work. When it reaches the end of the tether I think that it will go a bit crazy (more crazy than it should.. :) ).

/Marcus
You are right! :D
I only give thrust in this video. (sorry for the quality :) )

BTW: With tether and hook (and empty basket) and no ground contact (in the air) the CF flys very stable.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Looking at the video that worked a lot better than I would have expected :D
absoloodle37

Post by absoloodle37 »

What about tethering to a power source? Imagine some lightweight wire connecting to battery terminal or USB charging port. 30 gauge wire is really tiny and can carry a max of 10A. Might be a good solution to build your around-the-room flying skills with unlimited flying time.

Will the logic on the circuit board support this type of tethered, powered flight? Any suggestions on a power supply?
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

From my point of view it is not recommended to fly longer than 15-20 minutes, because the motors will heat up and that decrease the lifetime of the motor extremely.