Crazyflie 2.1 External antenna compatibility

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
MadeInPierre
Beginner

Crazyflie 2.1 External antenna compatibility

Post by MadeInPierre »

Hi all,

I am interested in using an external antenna with the CF2.1 by using the onboard uFL connector (I need to use the RSSI signal quality estimator for a research project, and the value changes too much when the drone's angle varies, because of the location of the included antenna that can easily be shadowed by the motors). However, I can't find much information about how it works and if there are any antennas recommended with the system.

Does someone have some experience or information about ? More specifically:
- Is it a true antenna system or does the included PCB antenna get disabled when an external one gets connected?
- Are there any models that have been tested?
- I don't know much about what's compatible with the CF2 system, what should I look for when buying an antenna?

Thank you all!
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflie 2.1 External antenna compatibility

Post by tobias »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Some basic documentation about the external antenna can be found here.
- Is it a true antenna system or does the included PCB antenna get disabled when an external one gets connected?
No, you will have to, in compile time, select one or the other.
- Are there any models that have been tested?
We have tested mainly whip antennas (search internet for "u.fl antenna 2.4GHz"), because of their low weight. In your case I think you want an antenna with uniformly spread gain. Maybe a 2.4GHz omni-directional cloverleaf antenna.