Beginner protection ring

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
bitcrazy
Beginner

Beginner protection ring

Post by bitcrazy »

Where can I buy the protection metal ring used in the intro video?
gruffman
Beginner

Re: Beginner protection ring

Post by gruffman »

Just make one with some steel thread! ;)
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

You can't buy it (as of now), you'll need to built it yourself. As far as I understand piano wire was used to create that (not sure though).

There exists a 3D-printed alternative which VGer is selling for little money on ebay for those that do not have access to a 3D printer themselves though.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Just wanted to amplify that last message.

I've tried the v1.6.6 and 1.7.1 versions of Paulo's printed frames and find either is pretty good protection. I've stuck with the 1.7.1 version for about a week now without any damage. I'd lost two motors (can dents) prior to installing the frames, so I think they are well worth the low asking price and extra flying weight.

I think this is a great link because it shows how his work is evolving http://paulogeraldes.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -prep.html both in complexity and weight.

About the only thing better would be a full shell around the whole structure. Anyone for carbon nanotubes? :lol:

Rich
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
bitcrazy
Beginner

Post by bitcrazy »

Thanks for the links, I managed to 3D print one of them, but the frame is quite heavy and the battery runs out after just 5 minutes of flying its really frustrating.
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Yes, designs over a few grams are going to be too heavy. A tough problem.
Rich
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
TheFrog4u
Expert

Post by TheFrog4u »

I have to say I still prefer the nerf dart solution. As a further improvement you should put a little bit of foam (i used the little things i cut out for the monor-mount anyway) an press it into the motor-mount just between the motor and the arm to protect against dents.

Its very light and even after a couple of violent crashes I stell have the first set of propellers and motors.
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

I agree that the dart solution is good for protecting the bottom of the motors.

The frames described above also encompass the motor bottoms but additionally protect the rotors from damage in the X-Y plane of the Crazyflie. Some of the newer designs also protect the top 'flie.

Rich
TheFrog4u
Expert

Post by TheFrog4u »

Actually the nerf dart solution protects more than just the bottum of the motors -> because of the softer landings (also during crashes) it also protects the arms and electronics (especialy the accelerometer and gyroscope). When adding a little bit of foam between the motor-mount and the arm, it also protects against the "motor dent" issue. Protecting the propellers might not be very important, because I have never seen any broken propeller after a crash, even after weeks of flying and dozen of crashes my propellers were just a little bit scrashed and one had a very tiny crack (thing more like fatique), so I replaced this one.. Sure propeller protection could have avoided that and for the beginners that just do the first flight test with their cf its a good solution.. also if you flie in rate mode and want to do risky tricks :P
smiler

Post by smiler »

TheFrog4u wrote:.. also if you flie in rate mode and want to do risky tricks :P
Have you added code for the ESKY link to allow rate mode?