NOOB in need of help

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
dwaddsy
Beginner

Crazyflie Android client Help?

Post by dwaddsy »

Hello!

So I am still awaiting my Crazyflie but I want to educate myself on how to fly the CF with my android. I see that there is something in the repository called "Crazyflie Android client" but when I download it I am not sure what to do with it? Can anyone please help a person that is great at following instructions and has good common sense BUT is not very savvy with html etc and is a newbie =).

Thank you
dwaddsy
Beginner

NOOB in need of help

Post by dwaddsy »

Hello Everyone,

I am going to receive my CF soon and I want to control it with my android with the DroidMote Client mentioned in the repository. Will I have to be working with html code and if so where does the code go? Will my Macbook need to be used when flying the CF with my android? I feel like I'm missing out a piece of the puzzle here. I'm a quick learner but I need a jump start here =).

I have flown and built model airplanes when I was younger (pylon racers, pattern planes etc) so I have a strong fundamental knowledge of flying and building. I know basic html coding but I'm not really "getting" the CF and all of the random code talk!

Your advice is very greatly appreciated.
foosel
Expert

Re: NOOB in need of help

Post by foosel »

For flying your Crazyflie via your Android device you currently have two options...

One is the Droidmote Client you mentioned, which basically turns your Android device into a gamepad, connected to your computer via WiFi. You'll still need your computer with the Crazyflie Client (and the Droidmote server) running on it in order to fly, the Android device is really only a controller option in this case. You won't need any development skills here.

The other is the native Android Crazyflie client, which interfaces with the Crazyflie dongle connected by an USB OTG cable to your Android device, provides you with a basic controller interface and sends your control impulses to the Crazyflie. This version is still a bit experimental, if you want to go down this route you might want to take a look here. If you'd want to compile your own version of the software, you'd need to understand how to turn the existing Android source code into a working installation package. However, I compiled such a package a couple of weeks back that is provided in the linked thread as well, if you want to go down that route. In order to install it, you'll have to enable the installation of 3rd party applications (located in your Settings under Security) and then download the APK and open it, an installation dialog should then pop up and ask you to verify the installation.

HTML plays no role in the current Crazyflie world (and for the record actually is a markup language, not a programming language). The Firmware for both dongle and copter is written in C, the client is written in Python.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
foosel
Expert

Re: NOOB in need of help

Post by foosel »

Just realized those two threads were actually even in the same forum and by the same person (it's late...) --> merged.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107