How fast is the Crazyflie?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
Redouan
Beginner

How fast is the Crazyflie?

Post by Redouan »

Hi people,

I am curious about the fact how fast the crazyflie can fly? I think around 30/km hour. What do you think?
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: How fast is the Crazyflie?

Post by marcus »

Hi,

Good question. We have been talking about measuring this but we are still discussing the best way to do it. The best idea so far is using two smartphones, placed on the ground at a known distance and recording video. We fly the Crazyflie full speed over them both (in a straight line) and then synchronize the video using sound (just a clap or something). Then we take the two videos, synch them and measure the time it took to travel the distance.

Any other suggestions on how to do this?

Also it's dependent on the max roll/pitch angle allowed. We experimented a bit with this and set it to 40 or 50 (it's not recommended to do this). Then it get's a bit tricky to get enough upward thrust to keep it on the same altitude but on the other hand it's a lot faster...

/Marcus
smiler

Post by smiler »

marcus wrote: We experimented a bit with this and set it to 40 or 50 (it's not recommended to do this).
Why not? I usually fly at 50 or 55. I love the agility :)
Surrender
Expert

Post by Surrender »

I fly with 90-100 angle/rate ;)
Started from 15 i moved up the way in one week, its just the exercise that makes you better ;)
My room is not the biggest so i have to handle very fast, but it works excellent!

I didn't try to measure the speed of the crazyflie but it would be interesting to measure the rate of climb in m/s - with full throttle its climbing very fast.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

The reason for not recommending it is that the faster the Crazyflie is the more damage is caused when hitting the walls ;) Still I tried setting it to 70 and it becomes very agile. Tested it while sitting at my desk where there's not a lot of space and I'm used to having it set to 30...first I almost hit my face, then almost the computer screen and finally I crashed into the wall :shock:
Surrender
Expert

Post by Surrender »

Its not easy if your are not used with it, so try to test it with adding more and more angle/rate with each flight (add e.g. 10° each flight).

In the end it looks very fast and professional if it is working ;D
smiler

Post by smiler »

My biggest problem with high angle rates are that twitchy turns can end up with the flie self oscillation. Other than that I think it's fine :)
tlankford01
Beginner

Post by tlankford01 »

I am not sure if you found a way to find the speed but an archery chronograph would be a good way I believe.