Spare batteries and charging without the CF?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
Beginner

Spare batteries and charging without the CF?

Post by 863456346 »

Hey guys

and first of all a big thank you to the bitcraze guys for making one of the best toys I've ever played with. This is so much fun, it's ridiculous. Especially the use of an XBOX controller gives the familiar feeling of gaming; just in the real world. And since I changed the mapping for the controller to use the right trigger for thrust, it is way easier to control the CF. Thanks foosel.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a simple way to charge a spare battery without using the CF. I'd like to buy 3 spare batteries, so that I just need to swap the empty one out and be on my way again. I guess it should be possible to use the RaspberryPi for charging of the spare batteries, but this is really just a wild guess and I have no idea where to start with that.

So, if anyone is already doing something like this, or has a good idea on how to achieve this, I'd like to hear from you :)

PS: Where can I get spare batteries aside from seeedstudio in germany/europe? I already tried conrad electronic, but couldn't find one that fit the criteria (size, power, weight)

Thanks!
foosel
Expert

Re: Spare batteries and charging without the CF?

Post by foosel »

Got myself one of those for exactly that purpose, but noticed too late that it charges at 500mA (what might be too much) and that it has the wrong battery connector soldered on (our LiPos use a smaller 2-prong one -- don't know if that's still called a JST than or not, but it's basically just a smaller brother of the one this dongle is made for). But there are alternatives, e.g. this one that might work with the correct connector which I will test out as soon as I get my hands on one of those.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
Beginner

Post by 863456346 »

foosel wrote:Got myself one of those for exactly that purpose, but noticed too late that it charges at 500mA (what might be too much) and that it has the wrong battery connector soldered on (our LiPos use a smaller 2-prong one -- don't know if that's still called a JST than or not, but it's basically just a smaller brother of the one this dongle is made for). But there are alternatives, e.g. this one that might work with the correct connector which I will test out as soon as I get my hands on one of those.
That's just for charging though, what about spare batteries? Have you found any or did you order them from seeedstudio? And the charger, did you buy it already? If not, I'm willing to chip in and order it for testing.

And thanks again for the xbox mapping, really a blast with the thrust on the trigger. :)
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

Haven't found any local sources for the batteries yet either. Back when I preordered my CF I directly got a spare battery with it as well. Haven't bought the charger yet as I'm still compiling the shopping list for the next electronics shopping spree just around the corner ;)
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
Beginner

Post by 863456346 »

God f***** dammit. Lost the post because I had to log in again.

I just ordered the charger, so I'll let you know next week if this actually works for our purpose.

Sadly the spare battery is out of stock at seeedstudio. Maybe I'll ask the guys at my local Conrad Electronic shop if they know of any alternatives. If you happen to find one, please let me/us know.

I'll kepp you posted on the charger thing.

Schoenes Wochenende :P
pHysiX
Beginner

Post by pHysiX »

foosel wrote:Got myself one of those for exactly that purpose, but noticed too late that it charges at 500mA (what might be too much) and that it has the wrong battery connector soldered on (our LiPos use a smaller 2-prong one -- don't know if that's still called a JST than or not, but it's basically just a smaller brother of the one this dongle is made for). But there are alternatives, e.g. this one that might work with the correct connector which I will test out as soon as I get my hands on one of those.
500mA should be fine (USB ports provide around 500mA max).The battery has a recharge rating of 3-5C I believe. 500mA is the 3C limit, so all should be well. Even a normal LiPo charger would work, which is what I have been using when flying outdoors since I can charge using my car battery.
863456346 wrote:
PS: Where can I get spare batteries aside from seeedstudio in germany/europe? I already tried conrad electronic, but couldn't find one that fit the criteria (size, power, weight)

Thanks!
As for spare battery, the battery is very similar to a Syma one. So try google "Syma 3.7v lipo 170mAh" or "Syma 3.7v lipo 200mAh".
Things to look for are to make sure the weight is around 5-10 grams max, and to have a built in circuit protection. Finally, try and get 25C+ discharge; the Syma ones are usually 20C.

Regards,
Ian
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

pHysiX wrote:500mA should be fine (USB ports provide around 500mA max).The battery has a recharge rating of 3-5C I believe. 500mA is the 3C limit, so all should be well.
Thanks, that sounds reassuring! I have no real prior experience with LiPos (besides a short stint with a Blade CX2 a couple of years back, and there I just used what came in the package), so information like that helps tremendously! :)

You wouldn't be able to tell me how the connector used on the batteries is called? Is that a MicroJST?
Beginner

Post by 863456346 »

foosel wrote:You wouldn't be able to tell me how the connector used on the batteries is called? Is that a MicroJST?
I'd like to know that as well :)

I bought this one yesterday, but it has a different connector. Depending on the availability of the connector I might change the connector on the crazyflie itself, since you can just pull it off.
phiamo

Post by phiamo »

thanks for the tip, the LiPo-Charger-Basic-Micro does the job very well!
Beginner

Post by 863456346 »

That should be the right cable/connector, correct?

http://www.exp-tech.de/Zubehoer/Steckve ... ector.html